Testing

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Leehaa, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Anyone else do testing?

What do you think to it?

What things do you like / disslike about it?

Along with the new responsibilities, we are learning to create our own Domino test environments...it's good fun, but requires a lot of attention trying to make sure the test database has the correct Parms for the look-up databases, correct design is copied over, the look-up databases have the correct acls, then doing the testing itself...it's a bit difficult doing this and covering the support calls too....ah well, gonna have one fantastic CV after all this :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The only times when I did software testing was when I was:

1. at uni &
    2. when I beta tested one of the MMORG (online game).

It was ok, prefered the game, but got annoying when you had to write down (or experienced) any errors/problems.

But then again it was voluntary and it was good experience :) As for being paid to to do software testing, having to do it 8 hours a day - never done that :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

As a test engineer i currently do a lotof testing albeit mainly hardware. However sometimes i'm required to test the various pieces of software we have or just some of the modules. I like testing as i enjoy the challenge of problem solving.

But at the moment i'm finding that we don't have much in the way of test procedures for all the current circuit boards and platforms we supply. Most of the stuff is still with the development dept even though its years old! Also a lot of the info i require is in peoples heads in different departments so its hard to get good training on each bit.

I've also done the beta testing for a few games. Thats always fun!! play a game before release and see what bugs get fixed and which are still there 6 months after it hits the shelves.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I am supposed to review this book on a related topic at some point. I'll let you know how it is. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Crito

Crito Banned

This is the book I'm constantly referring to on the subject. It doesn't really cover the new breed of "agile" development methodologies, and it refers to the iterative approach as the "evolutionary" model, but other than that it's an excellent book. Especially usefull for non-technical project managers who mistakingly believe the waterfall model works just as well for writing programs as building skyscrapers.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none