Test center requests extra money !

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by cryptod, Jun 23, 2011.

1. cryptod

cryptod New Member

Hi,
    is it legal for a test center to request extra money for a certification exam even if you pay online (prometric) ?
    I contacted a test centre nearby and they told me that i have to pay extra 40€ to take any exam even if i have a voucher code or pay online.

2. DryPlate

DryPlate Nibble Poster

I could not find information on Prometric's website but this does not sound legitimate at all. I would call Prometric and ask/report the testing center. They are basically making extra money off of Prometric's customers when presumably they already receive a cut of the price we test takers take.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCDST, Apple Certified Associate
    WIP: CompTIA Network+, MCITP: EDST 7
  3. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

As above, I've never heard of that either...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

The only type of testing centre that I know that is allowed, for sure, to charge extra are Certiport testing centres (so candidates that do the MOS, ACA, IC3, etc types of exams) as they do not receive any payment for delivering exams.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Kitkatninja

Prometric (and Vue) testing centres only receive payment if they hit the minimum amount of tests (approx 20) per (I can't remember if it's) month or quarter. To be honest, it doesn't even cover the procters hourly rate, let alone the set-up and running costs. Hence why alot of testing centres close if the training part of the business fails, as there's no incentive for them to run the test centre.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Never heard of them demanding cash before.
    However, as the others have said, testing is basically a loss-maker.
    Not to mention all the kit and the administration, you need to provide an invigilator to sit there etc.

I'm pretty sure it will be against Prometric's policy though.

What country is this in?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. cryptod

cryptod New Member

Thanks for your replies,
    I'm in Algeria. I've read on local forums that at least 3 test centers (Prometric & PearsonVue centers) are charging people extra money ! that's a fraud. i'll contact Prometric to get a clear answer.
    Centers in question are:
    - Hightech Center (the one i've contacted)
    - OASYS

8. Kitkatninja

Another possibility is that they are private testing centres and only allow their students to test, by paying the 40 odd euro's it's their "enrollment and course fee". But I very much doubt it...

Are they a public or private testing centre?

-Ken

9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I can't speak for Prometric, but one of the conditions of Pearson VUE was that you were not allowed to refuse people who wanted to sit an exam. That's why many test centres who want to remain 'private' seem to be closed all the time. They open up briefly, register their own students and then close again before anyone else gets a chance.

10. cryptod

cryptod New Member

These centers are suggested when you 'locate exam center' from Prometric website, i assume they are public.

11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'd suspect that it is against Prometric's policy, but the test centres know that they won't/can't do anything about it. The fact that you've found a couple that do it may suggest that it's become an unofficial way to get a bit of extra cash over there.

You could report them to Prometric, but even if they investigate it may be a while before anything gets done. All of which is stopping you sitting your exam.

12. mcrilly

mcrilly Byte Poster

When I did my CCENT/ICND1 exam, I booked it through the PearVUE website and paid everything upfront, there and then. I was never asked for any extra cash. Dodgy!

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA, RHCE, & VCP