Tesco (and other supermarket) Tech Support. Any experience of working there?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jo74, Jan 16, 2011.

1. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

Strolling through my local Tesco, I walked past a bloke wearing a polo shirt with Tesco tech support on it.

In all honesty, it never occurred to me that a huge employer such as Tesco would employ tech support.:dunce :oops:

So I've now had the epiphany that other supermarkets do the same.:dry

Has anyone worked in IT for a supermarket? How did you get the job?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
    Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  2. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

Tesco outsource allot of I.T to other companies, they have their own in-house support for depots, shops etc. I have worked for them installing switches within the depots, they are a good bunch of guys, and the support desk seem very helpful. I have worked for Morrison’s also installing switches but into their supermarkets, they also work in a similar way to Tesco's. They outsource but have their own internal support. Both very interesting to work for as a contractor. :biggrin

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  3. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

I think my boss used to do Tech Support for the old local Safeways branch. He started there as just the admin guy and then slowly but surely became the IT guy. That was years ago though so not much use to you.

I remember Sainsburys having a huge recruitment drive for Desktop Support people about 2 years ago just before the financial crisis hit. They "appeared" to withdraw the adverts a few weeks after RBS and HBOS went bust. Quite a few guys where I worked applied only to get an email a few weeks later detailing that the positions had been withdrawn.

As for Tesco, I'm sure they used to advertise IT positions on their corporate website.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Most large companies do the same. Healthcare? Yep. Insurance? Yep. Manufacturing? Yep. Banking? Yep. Department stores? Yep. Restaurants? Yep. Publishing? Yep. Entertainment? Yep.

In short... if a company uses computers, they need IT support of some sort. The larger they are, the more likely they do their own IT.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

My original comment about having an 'epiphany' was rather tongue in cheek.:dry

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

dude think about it. Who doesn't use computers these days?

the key cutting shop in your town will have a computer or two just like the supermarket, just like the building firm and just like the big blue chip company will.

There are not many places these days that do not have a computer system in their workplace.

Here are some suggestions that will require a tech to maintain their systems.

B&Q
    Tesco
    Your local swimming pool whatever thats called
    Toymaster
    Your local shopping center whatever thats called
    Betfred
    Local newspaper
    Hotels & bars in your area
    Your local council
    Independant gyms in your area

I could go on, the trick isn't to wait until you see an advertisment its to get out the yellow pages and apply to lots of different places until you get something.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. BosonMichael

Then there's another 'epiphany' to be had: discovering how many new IT techs DON'T realise where tons of IT jobs are hidden. Considering I don't know you personally, I had no way of knowing whether you fell into this category or not.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you know what the problem is BM? too many people wanting to get into IT think they are going to be working for some big blue chip corporation and that this corporation is the only place that will have an IT infrastructure.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. BosonMichael

Yep, there are quite a few who have that mindset. Others believe that IT companies are the only way into the field... starting at Geek Squad and working their way on up the chain to Microsoft or Apple or Cisco.

I'm not alleging that Jo74 had this mindset... in fact, his post states that he didn't. However, there are a lot of techs who don't think outside the box, and maybe these responses will open their eyes to the possibility of working in IT at a law firm or a retail outlet or a durable goods manufacturer.