Ten tall tales told on CVs

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tripwire45, Aug 14, 2008.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Before anyone becomes upset, I'm not aiming this particular thread at anyone. True, we did have a recent thread or two on the subject and I did think of that when I was reading this article, but I do believe this is a worthwhile read.

Yes, it seems like more than a few people at least "tweak" their CVs, but some of the examples in this story are over the top. See for yourself:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/worklife/08/13/cb.lies.on.resumes/index.html

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Very good and intersting read James. Thanks.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. Wiz

Wiz Bit Poster

Still need to work out the best way to write them, even with those threads still not easy...

So saying i'm related to the royal family won't work then? shame thought that would be a winner

WIP: CIW A+ N+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

This one is the absolute best:

:biggrin

And this paragraph pretty much sums up why you shouldn't over-embellish or lie on a resume:

Lie, and 6% of employers will hire you. But work your way up honestly, and you'll have your pick of jobs!

I also thought this was worth pointing out, for those who think you need to write a book and call it a resume:

Great find, James. Repped!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!