Ten Hot IT Certifications (2009)

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Education Slideshow: Ten Hot IT Certifications

The following ten certifications were identified in the Foote Partners July 2009 Hot List as the hottest in the tech business, as judged by IT spending trends, market value increases reported in the company's pay index, interviews with IT management and projections for future skills demand. While some experienced zero growth last quarter, it's important to remember that a flat trend line is the 'new growth curve' in this down economy.

Article: Here

While we get alot of these kind of articles, I've decided to post this one as it doesn't mention any MS certs and only 1 Cisco cert.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. zebulebu
      zebulebu
      Why do I get the feeling that, somewhere in the background there, GIAC and EMC were major contributors to that survey in some way...?

:biggrin
    2. ericrollo
      ericrollo
      Well i have never heard of them
    3. UKDarkstar
      UKDarkstar
      I assume it's a US based survey which is perhaps why some seem unfamiliar.
    4. Qs
      Qs
      A very biased slideshow. Take the ranking (and associated certs) with a huge pinch of salt.

Qs
    5. zimbo
      zimbo
      interesting to see mention of GIAC certs..are they even respected here in the uk yet?
    6. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      Well I've heard of them and I'm in the UK, however it is a very US orientated. Are they respected over here? I would say, no not yet, however like everything else it'll be sweeping across our shores soon enough.

A better question, would I go for them? As it stands currently no... I received an e-mail regarding the grandfathering program into one of the GIAC certs a while ago. I was going to apply, however after reading the requirements I was put off.

-ken
    7. Bluerinse
      Bluerinse
      I have never heard of them and would therefore completely ignore those claims, as it smacks of *vested interest* :dry

As we know, certifications have little or nothing to do with earning potential on their own. It is all about experience, technical ability, talent and commitment not to mention a multitude of other criteria which is monitored as an individual progresses.

This is just another survey that is giving the wrong message. It is implying that a course here, a course there is going to rocket your salary year after year. When in fact it is proving what you can do in the workplace to your superiors that counts.
    8. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      If you want to know what we think of them in the US, I'll say this: we don't think anything of them. I've barely heard of the GIAC certs, and I don't know a single person who has them or are considering pursuing them.