Tempted to not go for comptia... please read

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Juelz, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

First of all im in the U.K not U.S so I dont know how relevant comptia is here tbh.. Ive seen a course at my local college titled: ICT Systems and Principles BTEC Dimploma... its a 10 week course and it seems pretty good content wise BUT im wondering whether I'd be better of getting a cert like comptia/MS... the course pretty much will give me the skills I need to become employable (actually says that in its description) and is pretty hands on, and I learn so much better in a class room than self study... in all honesty money and time is the issue here

2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

A BTEC diploma might get lost in the academic waffle. A CompTIA cert is at least well known and is irrefutable proof that you should know your way around the hardware basics.

You say you can't self study well, which will lean towards the BTEC. This is genuinely only your decision to make mate. If it were my choice, I'd say go for the A+. This shows irrefutable proof of your ability to work well around the hardware basics, and if you self study it, it will also give proof to an employer that you are able to organise your own time, are capable of learning without being spoon-fed, and are hungry to achieve.

How much is the course? As the A+ is literally just the cost of the books and the exam.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for your reply mate, the course is £500.. to be bluntly honest I used to be a wizkid with computers but feel so out of practice that I dont feel as though I could self study comptia a+ without first doinh a relevant college course... and I heard that comptia a+ isnt that recognised in the UK. I was thinking of doing this btec then doing a MS cert... I just want some hands on class room experience as I dont believe self studying from a book without getting some hands on lessons is going to help

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Some BTECs are great, others not so much, I expect it depends on the college and instructor.

£500 is pretty cheap for a few months of tuition, and arguably better value than the £250 for A+ exam frees.

Neither BTEC's or Comptia have a great reputation in the UK, so really its about what you can get out of either process in terms of learning.

Arroryn likes this.
  5. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Ok, first a bit of background, I've now been working in IT for about 8 years and I hold a BTEC National Certificate and three certifications, comptia A+, N+ and the MCDST.

In every case so far if I've reached interview stage the questions have all been related to my certs and there has been barely any mention of the BTEC. Actually quite lucky if I'm honest, I took on the BTEC as a course for all the wrong reasons and barely passed both as a result of my own disinterest and the most inept bunch of lecturers known to man.

Of course ymmv as with any of these sorts of things but I've got far more out of certification than I ever did from a BTEC course.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  6. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

BTECs map more easily to GCSEs, if you are short on school qualifications

What is the GCSE or A level equivalent of my BTEC? : Edexcel

But basically when you are in the real world, not many people give a toss about GCSEs.

I would be very wary on something says "improves your job prospects", as basically that should be taken as read.

7. yp_se

yp_se New Member

Agree with everyone else. IMO BTEC is just a formality when your going through the whole education phase. If your looking for industry recognition the A+ is the better option.

Dont be mistaken in thinking the A+ alone will transform your career but it is most definately the right step and most of the content you learn is very relevant. Why not find a local A+ class if your not able to study yourself.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  8. Thomas7918

Thomas7918 Bit Poster

Hi Juelz

I recently secured an A+ certification and it was self study the whole way.

In hind-site, I think the most important aspect of self study "no matter which topic" will be the environment - One really needs to make dew-diligence and insure there is a "Clutter Free / Distraction Free" area.

Large desk area, big monitor, good reading chair "the kind that helps you sit up for conversation and not kick back for football" and Good Lighting.

Multiple content is handy, it gets tiring just reading and it is nice to have some video on the topic, speech to text is pretty good to if your relaxing.

Good Luck