Temperature!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenbrucelee, Jun 12, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What would you consider a dangerous operating temperature, it just today I have been playing Elderscrolls 4 Oblivion most of the day and after playing it for 8 hours the pc crashed and said something like video display had crashed.

I was wondering could this have been because the pc or card was too hot when I went into the bios as I was restarting the pc is said the temperature was mobo temp was 48 degrees and the cpu 45.

Is this an ok operating temp,

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I assume that's Celsius?

If you're not actively running Oblivion when you test, you're not getting current temps. Video card processor temps will skyrocket when it's pounding insane frame rates, not when it's sitting there looking at your desktop after the fact... ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

To be honest if Oblivion crashed the graphics cards its unlikley to be the CPU temp thats the problem. 45 degrees is ok for a cpu under load. Mine sits around but it can fluctuate bbetween 37 and 54 degrees dependent on what the pc is doing.

Its more likley that the Graphics card temp has got too much, or its been drawing too much power so the card crashed. You've ot an 8800gt havent ya? if so look at the nvidia control panel for the card, if i remeber right theres a temp monitor on it. Take a look and see what that says while running Oblivion. Also does it have a fan speed setting that can be adjusted? or are you overclocking the card, in which case turn down the GPU and Memory speeds of the card.
    Alternativley turn down the graphic setting within the game. I only have a 7900gs and have most of the games settings at medium and it runs fine for me (never worried about all those fancy poncy graphic settings like full bloom and lighting etc :D )

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  4. greenbrucelee

I havent got the 8800gt yet i am still running the 8600gt the fanless one, I will look on the control paneland see if says anything.

5. greenbrucelee

Just did a temp the card is running at 60-67 deg without a game on.

When runnin a game (oblivion) it is going from 64 - 77 degrees

Do you think I need a, extra fan in there

6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi greenbrucelee,

Sorry, just changing the subject for 2 ticks, have you played the expansion pack for Oblivion (Shivering Isles) yet? Just finished the main quest, got a couple of side quests to do.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Look at this :-

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t3881.html
    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1030400
    http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...ew&id=13&Itemid=99999999&limit=1&limitstart=2

I've not messed with such things for a while, I once over clocked an old NVidia card years back, (it was fairly cheap card) I also got a bit worried, I measured the temperature with a thermometer :biggrin !

The thing got upto around 90 deg C then died.

So I'd advise against overclocking on expensive hardware its really not worth it. Especially anything over 90 deg C, also ambient temperature is gonna have an affect, yes in summer its possible its gonna get hotter.

8. greenbrucelee

Havent played it Ken I will when I have finished the Origional, the thing is I had it when I had an xbox360 but I didnt have access to xbox live so I could download the patches to fix but now I have a pc and the internet have done the patches so I want to do properly.

9. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Bruce,

if the card is a fanless one i would suggest getting a fan near or on it. Even though the heatsink is supposed to be enough to keep the card cool, i wouldnt trust it, plus the hot air from the heatsink still sits near the card unless you have a fan taking it away.
    77C while hot, wouldnt be enough to crash the card, i'd have thought. I can't say for sure as my card (7900GS) runs at around 47C but thats with a fan and heatsink on the card and not running all the graphics features in game.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  10. greenbrucelee

I will keep an eye on it then might purchase a fan if it crashes again but i am gonna get an 8800 shortly or should I get extra fans any how

11. BosonMichael

Protect your investment. A video card cooling fan isn't that expensive.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. greenbrucelee

Thanks BM, should I get a GPU fan or just put extra fans in the case?

If I get a GPU fan will it just fit onto the card after removing the heat sink and be powered from the card or the mobo?

13. BosonMichael

I'd recommend getting both. Wouldn't do you much good to get heat away from your GPU just to end up overheating everything else in your case, right? :)

GPU fans are typically manufactured to fit your specific graphics card. They'll contain instructions for removing the existing heat sink and installing the new HSF combo. I've had good luck with Arctic Cooling GPU fans.

Some GPU fans will exhaust the heat out the back of your case; if that's the case with the one you buy, you don't necessarily need additional case fans. But since case fans are so cheap, why not increase the airflow? Couldn't hurt, as long as you can stand the extra noise (PC noise doesn't bother me any... I listen to sound on my PC through surround-sound headphones).

14. greenbrucelee

I was looking at one of those exhaust fans the other day and was told not to bother with them by the man in shop he said I should be ok then this happened, my case has room for two extra fans one at the back and one at the front.

I cant see how the one at the front will do any good though because it is covered by the front of the case and from what I had a look at the front of the case can not be removed so that one would be pointless or would it still work?

Should I maybe migrate from the case I have to a better one such as a cooler master? or a one with lots of air vents?

15. BosonMichael

Case selection's very important for a custom build. I've heard lots of good about CoolerMaster, but I'm an Antec guy. I've got a P180B that has dual airflow chambers. Take a look at it on the Web and see for yourself! :)

Doesn't sound like a front case fan would do you much good in your current case. That said, how DOES your PC get airflow into your case now? Sorta difficult to dissipate heat if you can't easily get cool air into your case.

16. greenbrucelee

My case has airvents at the side and obviousle the back i have put on attachment of the case from where i got the comp from, you will be able to see what it look like at the front and side.

17. BosonMichael

If that's the case, then a front fan won't work if you're pulling air from the side. Load up fans on the back (pointing outward) and the vents on the side will allow air to flow in.

EDIT: In fact... loading up the rear areas with fans would be preferable, from an airflow perspective... you wouldn't want air to flow into the rear, then flow right back out the rear, leaving the front of your case to stay warm, would you? If you fill up the rear vents with fans, pushing air out, air can't come in the rear... meaning, air will HAVE to flow in through those front side vents, thereby keeping your entire case cooler. :)

18. greenbrucelee

Cheers BM I will purchase and extra fan for the back and probably buy the exhaust fan too if I do that then the hot air can only go one way which is OUT is that correct

19. BosonMichael

Yep, it's good for air to flow through your case in primarily one direction. The correct way is to typically have cool air coming into the case from the front (or in your case, the front sides), and exhausting out the back. If you've got air flowing into the back, then out the back, you're not running air through the front of your case, thereby potentially keeping your hard drives toasty warm.

20. greenbrucelee

This my case stripped out you can see where extra fans can go but I dont see why theres a front one