Temp IT Job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Necroscope, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Necroscope

Necroscope Nibble Poster

Got my first IT job but its only a 4 day contract job :( . Been contracted to support users on the rollout of a new Siemens phones, all i will be doing is floor walking when the phones go live supporting the user on how to access and use the new phone system. Had a training day today on the new phones and i have read the horror stories about IT staff on this board, but even i was shocked today i was the only one that was not a IT Professional and some of those IT Professionals had trouble getting there heads round a Mobility (Hot Desk) phones to me is was just like having a roaming profile for a computer just that there are only certain phones you can sign in on, some of those IT pro took a lot of explaining what it was :blink

The only question i have is how i should put this on my CV

Company A - Recruit Agency
    Company B - The company doing the work
    Company C - Where the work is being done

Should i put Company A or B as the company I'm working for and under bullet marks contracted to work on Company C contract. Also what would you put as position IT Support/Floor Walker/Trainer

Thanks for any help

Certifications: A+, N+,70-210, 70-270,MCDST,ECDL,CSCS
    WIP: ITIL v3 Foundation (sent me to sleep 3 times don't think made it past page 15), 70-680
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

This is exactly the sort of work I used to build my CV for IT. I'd get a day job here, a weekend job here, a recurring job some other place, usually all Ethernet or Desktop rollouts. I know a full-time, permanent job is desirable, but as someone reminded me today, at least it's work.

To try and answer your CV questions, here's how I list temp work on my CV:

TEKSystems/Micron Technologies May 2006 to March 2007
    Technical Writer/SharePoint Site Administrator

I put the contract agency first and then the company where I actually did the work. The dates and titles are obvious. In my case, temp jobs last months (or in the case of the current job, possibly for years), but you can apply the same format to a job that lasts just a few days. One job all by itself may not seem like much, but they add up. Each one also carries a unique set of circumstances and experiences, so the variety can sometimes help make you look quite knowledgeable.

Good luck.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Necroscope

Necroscope Nibble Poster

Thanks for the help tripwire and has you say a job is a job. Any contract IT jobs i get can only be a good thing on my CV.

Certifications: A+, N+,70-210, 70-270,MCDST,ECDL,CSCS
    WIP: ITIL v3 Foundation (sent me to sleep 3 times don't think made it past page 15), 70-680