Telephone Interviews

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Pablo1888, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Pablo1888

Pablo1888 Byte Poster

Anyone done any?

Certifications: MOUS Master, MCP 70-210, A+
    WIP: CCNA
  2. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Had one a couple weeks ago, found it much easier than an in-person interview, and it went well, just waiting to hear back now.

Not much different than a normal interview, they asked the same sort of question, but they are also testing your telephone skills. Be courteous, remember, that person cannot see you, and you will be judged by the tone of your voice, your answers and telephone manner. Try to give the best impression possible (not that you wouldn't of course!)

The job that I applied for is a network support possition within Exxon, doing allot of work over the phone, to most of north america. Hence the phone interview.

Just remember to treat it as though you were actually going in for the interview. Especially prepare for any questions they may ask, as a silence, um's and ah's are much more noticable on the phone.

Don't eat, drink or smoke during the phone call, as that will also be noticable, and probably won't give a very good impression.

That's about it, I have a list of links somewhere about phone interviews, I will look it up for you.

HTH GOOD LUCK!

Andy[​IMG]

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  3. Pablo1888

Pablo1888 Byte Poster

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the advice. Done the interview this morning, but I don't think I done too well.:( Wasn't as prepared for some of the questions as I should have been. Oh well, at least it was a bit of experience for me.

Cheers.

Paul

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

They can go both ways. When I was moving from California to Idaho, I had a phone interview with a three-member panel. It actually worked in my favor since I knew the nature of the questions they were going to ask ahead of time and got out all my reference materials and laid them out on my desk.

Also, it doesn't matter what you look like. I was dressed well below the standards for an "in-person" interview so I could feel comfortable and now have to sweat bullets in my good suit jacket.

I was invited for an in-person interview based on the phone interview but they said if they got to that far, the job was mine.

I have also been on a panel interviewing job applicants by phone. Of course, the applicants can't see you and when you've got a "lame one" on the line, you can make all kinds of faces and hand gestures and they'll never know, as long as you can keep you voice steady. I felt kind of sorry for some of the folks who called.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

I've actually got another one monday morning, my second ever. They seem to like using them here in Canada. Me, I prefer the in person interviews.

Soz to hear that you don't think it went well Paul, but you never know. It was your first ever, and you can always write it off as a learning experience. I'm sure my first few "in person" interviews weren't perticularly great, but after a few i got better.

Keep your chin up mate, you'll get the job you want soon enough. I've been looking now for about three months, and I still haven't got myself anything. Just got to keep trying. [​IMG]

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  6. Pablo1888

Pablo1888 Byte Poster

Got a call this afternoon asking me to go in for a face to face interview on Thursday. I could not believe it as I thought I was totally crap in the telephone interview. I am told that the interview will consist of competency based questions and a technical assesment. As this is again, a first for me. I was hoping that someone would be able to give me a few tips on what is involved. The job is for a Helpdesk Analyst with IBM.

Cheers

Paul

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Nice one Paul - go for it m8 :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Good luck, fingers crossed mate. :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  9. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Fingers crossed for you Paul, good luck.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Good luck mate.:thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

Good luck for Thursday Pab! :biggrin

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor
  12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Yup good luck Paul
    I find interviews are like exams, you always think you did crap, and then get some suprising feedback/results :)

or you think you did great and dont get anything!

Im not a big fan of telephone interviews, but they are not too bad, often shorter than in person interviews, and the advantages that trip pointed out

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  13. Pablo1888

Pablo1888 Byte Poster

Thanks a lot everyone for the good wishes!!

Just keeping my fingers crossed now.

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Knock 'em dead, Paul.

Certifications: A+ and Network+