Telephone interview passed...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by drum_dude, Sep 11, 2018.

1. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

...face to face on Friday afternoon...oh err...will deffo need a new suit for my fat a$$. That's problem with voluntary bench time, the weight just piles on lolz (well, for me it has).

Telephone interview was good I thought, the technical guy said I gave him some of the best answer's he's heard.

Cheers

DD (contractor scum/filth, tax avoidance filth, key holder of "the war chest", arch-enemy of the permie and up there with that lot listed in the Panama papers)

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
    JK2447 likes this.
  2. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

Congrats and I hope the interview goes well on Friday.

drum_dude likes this.
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Congrats and best of luck with it. I’ll have to go contracting one day I suppose

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    drum_dude likes this.
  4. drum_dude

Cheers guys. The good news is that I fit into my suit. In fact, it's a lot looser on me than it was back in May? Back in May I attended an interview for what turned out to be a crap gig...it was really crap lolz

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  5. drum_dude

Oddly enough, I never considered it that much until an agent called me 5 years ago who was desperate to get an Exchange gimp for his client. And that was it.

One thing I love about contracting is the interview process is detached from the corporate bullsh*t. In other words, you're not asked the dumb HR type questions. It's literally a bit of small talk about the role, your experience and then put on the spot with 10 or so tech questions.

Also, the weird thing about contracting is that every contract I've had (apart from the crap one not so long back) has involved me interviewing folk for either an additional contract role or permie role? I've always been the guy sat with the permie manager or team leader who does the technical questioning lolz. I never had that in permie roles.

JK2447 likes this.
  6. JK2447

Sounds pretty good to be honest mate. Well done taking the leap

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    drum_dude likes this.
  7. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good stuff mate :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    drum_dude likes this.
  8. drum_dude

I'll be ironing me pants and socks tomoz mate :D

9. Sparky

Life in the IT fast lane! :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    drum_dude likes this.
  10. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You got a job in a launderette ? :D

11. drum_dude

That’s plan B, mate :biggrin

12. drum_dude

I don't think I got the gig guys. Although they said "we'll let you know next week" I haven't heard anything after the interview. Normally, one would hear something by now. I answered the questions as best I could.

Oh well, onto plan B...does anyone need any ironing done?

13. JK2447

They might just be busy. It will be alright

drum_dude likes this.
  14. Sparky

Still time mate - see how it goes.

dmarsh and drum_dude like this.
  15. drum_dude

OK chaps, here's the update:

There is no update...lol

I got a call from the agency late Monday afternoon to advise "we're chasing up with them to get some feedback" and I was asked how I thought the interview went. I was then told that myself and someone else was interviewed on that day. I knew this because I spotted the entry of the previous interviewee in the visitors book when I was signing in for security. The agent then said "the other candidate is much more experienced than you and normally does consultancy work but can't find any work, so he's prepared to do the job"...a statement I found a bit odd? She then said "he's now asked for an extra £100 a day" and added "that takes the day rate way over budget for the client and we know they won't accept his request". Again, I found this all a bit strange. She then said "I'll let you know either way".

So here we are and it's Friday and I haven't heard a sausage. I'm not chasing because experience tells me that in the event of long radio silence then the chances are you haven't got the gig. Also, they are agents out there who simply shy away from delivering bad news.

However, they could be remaining quiet just in case the first pick doesn't work out. I've been involved in being part of interviews myself, we pick a guy and a week later he pulls out meaning we have to then pick the guy who came second. Where I've witnessed that, all those involved were unaware that they were 2nd choice. So perhaps that why the agent is silent...dunno.

Anyway, you got to be in it to win it and when you don't win it, then simply move on.

Thanks for the support chaps :thumbleft

16. Sparky

Bit weird if the guy is a consultant but says he will take the job anyway. If it’s a hands on role then surely he is not the best candidate.

drum_dude likes this.
  17. drum_dude

TBH mate, it could just be code for "they've chosen someone else" lolz.

And perhaps they didn't like me on the face to face. The Exchange guy asked me a scenario based question on what I would do if external calls from S4B to the outside world were not working. After I went through what I'd look for, he then said "yes, but what tool would you use". To be honest, I would use OCSlogger/Snooper to trace some test calls there and then. He then said "hmm...but there is another tool you should use". I thought to myself "he's not seriously suggesting the CDRs (Call Detail Records)?"...so I said "the CDRs?". He then had a look of amusement on his face and replied "what's the CDRs?".

OK...so I thought this was part of the tech testing, but thinking back to it, I think he had no idea what CDRs were/are when in fact that was the "tool" he was talking about. So I replied "the Call Detail Records" and he said "how do you get to that?" to which I told him it was a link on the Skype/Lync control panel. He then said "Oh...you mean the SQL reports".

So I then sat there whilst he showed me what he would do using the "SQL reports" as he called them, which I knew as the CDRs and I knew what could be done from them. However, I really wanted to say "the reason I wouldn't use the CDRs is because in a big organisation they can take a bloody age to load up when during that time you can use centralised logging with Snopper to do some SIP tracing"...but he went off on one about using the "SQL Reports".

I also said I'd look at the Call Quality Dashboard to which he cut me off and said "that's not real-time"...no it's not but it would give you a good idea of when things went pear shaped and for how long as opposed to trawling through the CDRs.

Also...and a big also, they had no access to the SBCs which deflated me a bit when they told me that during the interview. The "Team Leader" said "I see you're qualified and have experience with Sonus SBCs. Unfortunately, we as the UC team have no access to them and they're are managed by 'Telecoms'" which was some outsourced team. That was a shame because they were advertising specifically for someone who was experienced with Lync/Skype Enterprise Voice. Well, if you have no access to the SBCs then it's hardly an Enterprise Voice role.

Perhaps I screwed up the face to face and that's it, lol. Not the first time it has happened.

18. Sparky

I take it suggesting a reboot would not have gone down well? :)

You have suggested various ways to troubleshoot the issues which seems ok to me – not sure why you had to troubleshoot his way.

drum_dude likes this.
  19. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Tbh mate you sound like you knew what you were on about, the interviewer sounds like an ass in all honesty.

drum_dude likes this.
  20. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Step 1 for me would be:

Raise a support ticket with Microsoft and whilst they try to help, keep telling the Macs are better.

drum_dude likes this.