Telephone interview - few questions

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jodsclass, May 31, 2006.

1. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Hey guys. Over the past 2 days I have had 3 telephone interview for 2nd line helpdesk roles. Both have been very interested in my unix/linux skills even though I have made it quite clear they are skills gained through hobby and have no way been utilized in a workplace. I have a few questions though

1. 2 out of the three jobs have changed during the interview. They have been advertised as 2nd line support but during the interview both guys let it slip that alot of selling up to clients would be involved. This suggests, and I did ask them, that its a sales role. Both guys agreed that it was a sales role and I was like WTF, I dont want to get into IT sales at all. 2 oportunities lost.

2. What is Process? The guy let slip that I would require knowledge of process, and thats its a bespoke programming language, but I cant find any info on it unless its the java based stuff.

Hope someone can help because its stressing me out now. If I apply for a tech role I want a tech role, not a sales role. Is this a common practise? to kinda head hunt tech savvy people to sell?

Thanks for your time

Jodsclass

Certifications: BSc IT & Web Development
    WIP: MSc Advanced Computing, Oracle Cert
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

never heard of process sorry.. could be some specialized program thou. :rolleyes:

you need to find the right *keywords* when job hunting for you 1st IT role, try some of these:

Junior helpdesk
    Junior Support
    Junior Desktop

how are you job hunting? newspapers or online? it could just be unlucky you found 2 sales roles.. dont stress mate ill will come! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

yeah, that does happen sometimes, being tricked into infotech sales. usually it's paired with the prospect of a better salary, which is how they try to reel people in. same thing happens sometimes with infotech management jobs. i have no way of knowing how often this occurs, but yes, it does happen.

about process. if it's really a bespoke programming language, doesn't that make it impossible to know by default, because it was custom made for that particular client? i once worked for a client who used a custom made sql language, named uql. they made it clear that i would need to master it, but not as a requirement for getting the job. more as a statement that learning it would be part of the job.

4. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Thanks for the advice folks. I am only applying for helpdesk roles at the moment. 1st and 2nd line as I did a years 1st line whilst at uni and have experience in it. I am really applying mostly online via the major job sites (reed, monster etc). It seems that my CV is doing the rounds in the IT recruitment sector and they are just putting me forward for anything. Really annoying, especially when they are phoning for a job which I have neither applied for or shown interest in. Seems a bit slack to me.

Ill just keep pplying for the helpdesk roles, there are plenty in manchester at the moment, although they are receiving alot of apps. Just have to hope the wife doesnt mind keeping m for a few more weeks until I start earning again. Man unemployment is the pits.

Again thanks for the help folks. And I didnt get a call back for the "process" job, so I guess they must be on a wild goose chase

Jodsclass

Certifications: BSc IT & Web Development
    WIP: MSc Advanced Computing, Oracle Cert
  5. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

You may want to expand your search a bit and look for call center jobs. Granted working in call centers sucks severely, it's still a starting point.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+