Technical Support

Discussion in 'Just for Laughs' started by Pady, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Pady

Pady Nibble Poster

Working in technical support we come across some fantastic fault details.

todays one logged for a laptop made me laugh...

Certifications: A+, See Sig for HW Certs
    WIP: Network+ & MCP 70-270
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

This comes across to me as a troubleshooting that your 1st line team has carried out to the best of their ability hence now being escalated to a more senior level. Well correct me if am wrong:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Interesting :hhhmmm :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Suttar

Suttar Byte Poster

Best call I picked up came from a guy who had the same degree as me. He had "Fixed" a problem but the customer phoned back. Customer couldn't connect to the network had a 127.0.0.1 address, I asked him to check his network cable and it wasn't plugged in, fault fixed. Had a look at the previous resolution.

"Reset customers password as he couldn't connect to the network"

Certifications: Hnc Comp & Bsc Networking, ITIL v3
    WIP: CCNA
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

It comes across as if people want to have high end qualifications which is brilliant. However, not wanting to advance in basic IT troubleshooting knowledge on those in IT is beyond me. Thanks for sharing as that one could go down as a classic:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  6. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Some clients also have brilliant ways to subscribe what is wrong:
    "The system is as fast as a snail slowing down for a bent in its road."

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Ah the good old days!

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. Suttar

Suttar Byte Poster

Good old days indeed, come on Fergal you must have a good story, even using the same person I know there must be something

Certifications: Hnc Comp & Bsc Networking, ITIL v3
    WIP: CCNA
  9. Shetland_wolf

Shetland_wolf New Member

Well i've only been working on a help desk for a couple of months now so only just beggining my IT career and storeis but my best so far would have to be:

On phoning the user said there computer crashed on them. They said they restarted it but everytime the same screen came up. When I asked them to reboot it, they did so. Told them to leave it for a min and then turn it back on.

On turning back they said they got the same screen. I asked them to do it again but still, everytime tried it, the same error came up.
    When asking what button they where pressing, they said "The one below the screen on the monitor"

Now try keeping your profentional manner when that happens. It was passed around the internal mail!

WIP: MCSE
  10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

One of the good reasons why we get paid working in IT as a career:). You just have to laugh and see the funny side though:).

11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I don't really do much help desk, but from time to time in house helpdesk is necessary. This one user had called me up 3 times within a period of 30 minutes asking me how to copy and paste. When I asked the user the first time if she has written the process of copying and pasting she replied yes, and still called two more times after that.

It took all the patience in the world not to hang up the phone. You see I don't mind if the user doesn't know because he/she never used a computer before, but if I asked you to write it down and you lie to me about that and keep on calling for the same thing, I will get pissed off really fast. When I told this to my boss, he got pissed off.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

EVERYONE knows that the screen is called "the computer" and that boxy thing is called "the hard drive". :D amiright? 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I actually *enjoy* working on level 1 help desk user problems for this very reason. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

I once had a user who asked me if I could recover her files on diskette (no harddisk at that time. Man, I'm getting old:biggrin). Unfortunally this diskette was not readable anymore. I asked her if she had made backups. She stared at me as if she saw burning water. I asked her if she had made a copy of the diskette. She sheered up and said: Off course I have.
    She had.... On the xerox machine.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP