Technical questions on 70-290

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by binaryjay, Aug 20, 2009.

1. binaryjay

binaryjay New Member

Hi all, cert newbie here from UK. Firstly, I'm wondering if anyone else is part way through learning for the 290 exam, and would like a learning buddie to bounce questions and observations off. In the future, as we get to infrastructure stuff we could link our vpn networks pretending to be 2 companies merging or something. It might sound soppy, but I believe it's a brilliant motivator to learn with someone. PM me your MSN address.

For those folk who have passed 290, I have some questions, which I would like to explore the solution in considerable depth:

- what is difference between a standalone and extension MMC snapin?
    - where does an xp workstation logging onto a domain user account for the first time get its default user profile copied or generated from? on a computer local account, it's c:\documents and settings\default user\, but what about domain?
    - where is the domain-equivalant of the local All Users profile?
    - do preconfigured profiles work if you copy the profile after the user account is configured?
    - what is the reasoning behind why quota's go to application log not system?

Many thanks!

2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I presume you mean preset mmc's like Active Directory Users & Computers, as compared to running MMC then simply adding that same snap in? Very little difference, but the preset ones are the most common ones you will use. It's possibe to customise them quite a bit and create your own tools, or groupings of tools if you wanted too. I tend to stick to the presets though.

It gets it from the same place as usual, unless of course you have configured a roaming profile for the user in question, in which case it would come from the share location of the roaming profile, then would be cached to the machine.

As far as I am aware there isn't really, but of course you can achieve the same effect via group policy and the way your AD is structured (using OU's).

Not sure what you are asking here really, have you got an example in mind?

I thought they went to the security log, not either of the others.

p.s. You may want to go and introduce yourself here.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Stand-alone snap-ins are provided by the developer of an application. All aministrative tools for Win Server 2k3, for example, are either single snap-in consoles or preconfigured combinations of snap-ins useful to a particular category of tasks while extension snap-ins, are desned to work with one or more stand-alone snapins, based on the functionality of the stand-alone. Wen you add an extension, Win Server 2003 places the extension into the appropriate location within the stand-alone snap-in.

Preconfigured profiles are simply profiles that are copied to the profile path before the profile path is configured in the user object. So it works even after you have configured the user account or during the configuration.

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I'm sure he could of just googled the answer (which had already been answered) himself. Yours appears to have been simply copied and pasted from this site :- http://www.server.lk/tutorials/mmc/mmc_menus.html

It's ashame you can't have google in exams I suppose ... The actual answers you memorised before the exam will do instead eh buddy?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL

So...Much...Fail

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em