Technet Plus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by supernova, Jul 1, 2008.

1. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Are you restricted to the number of installs (or number of keys requested) for any particular OS?

PS will they still supply XP for us Techs

Andi

(* oops posted in wrong section *)

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I downloaded Server 2003 and XP trials many times from the Microsoft website, but I am not sure about technet.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

While I believe Technet is great, it is not without it's limitations:

It's not a replacement for your standard licence on your PC's/server's, but it is a heck of a lot cheaper when it comes to studying :biggrin

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. supernova

So if i wonted two 32bit Vista basics as an example .. to test networikng .

will they let me eval two installations of the same package via Technet?

(* wasnt sure if it was limited to one of each package *)

Basically its for a home lab for when i get to MCSA/E and/or anything i need to test/practice work related (if i cant try inadvance).

But i would like to keep VM's so save expires/reinstalls

I used to be a action pack holder when i was self employed :-)

Andi

5. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

This is a good question. I was looking at signing up for Technet Plus just the other day.

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I also wanted to sign up for it until I noticed that it was more expensive than the action pack.

I think someone mentioned that when you re-subscribe it's actually cheaper. Can anyone confirm this?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

it is. link

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. supernova

Ofcourse action pack is only for companies and self employed, that sell, host or support ms products.
    They have started to check this.

Also they introduced as small exam last november you have to pass before you can sign up.

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The exam is easy, and you can take it until you pass it. And how hard is it to do a tiny bit of support on the side for friends?

That said, the Action Pack no longer gives full installs of Windows Vista, thereby requiring that you have a copy of XP or 2000 just laying around unused for EVERY workstation install you do. That, to me, removes the one reason to GET the Action Pack in the first place: to test Microsoft software - including the Vista OS.

Even worse, they don't provide Vista Ultimate - they provide Vista Business. Well, what about the self-employed tech who supports home users using Vista Home Basic, Vista Home Premium, or Vista Ultimate? Vista Business doesn't have many of the features that those OSes do.

TechNet, on the other hand, DOES provide full versions of Vista... and you CAN install Vista Ultimate. The only downside is that the TechNet software doesn't come on CD/DVD media in the mail - you have to download it and burn it.

For these reasons, I am cancelling my Action Pack this year, and moving over to TechNet. More choices, fewer limitations, fewer hassles (renewing your Partner status, taking that silly exam), and less expensive... it's an easy decision for me.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Fergal1982

Not true. They do have a license that supplies physical media. See my link above.

It is ridiculously overpriced though, for what is essentially burning the data to a cd and posting it to you. Much cheaper for you to download and buy.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  11. BosonMichael

Yeah, but who actually buys that? :blink Everyone knows what I meant: TechNet Plus Direct. :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

what? and miss out on the cool CD wallet thing that holds all my Technet stuff???
    I'll pay an extra 200 any day

...not

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks Fergal.

For me it works out about 55 SFr (£25) more expensive (the first year) than action pack and 400 SFr (£200) more expensive to get the CD edition.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  14. supernova

Yes but the Action Pack wasnt designed for that purpose.

Considering what the MS Action Pack is actually for I am not surprised that it doesnt include full copy's of Vista as well as top end versions. However, i would expect at least Business upgrades.

I agree technet is the best route for techs as the name would suggest.

However, does anyone know the answer to my question? :-)

Andi

15. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Well, XP is still supplied as part of the deal but I don't know how many installations you can have of each piece of software. I had the impression it was practically unlimited as it's 'licensed' to one person (individual) and not a company (as you should be for the action pack).

16. Fergal1982

The Technet Licensing from the website gives you the answer to this:

17. supernova

It doesn't directly answer my question

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. If you comply with this agreement, for each license you acquire, you have the rights below.

Doesn't state if you can or cant acquire multiple keys (which you submitted and receive via the online back end) (therefore license) for a single product.
    It only states what you can and or cant do with each single license.

Andrew

18. Fergal1982

It says that, if you buy a single user license, you can install it on as many systems as you like, for one user. Therefore, you can install and test it on as many different systems as you like. But only you can use them.

You just use the one license supplied for each.

At least, thats how I interpret it. If you really want to know for definate, go to the horses mouth

19. supernova

Thanks... i think your right reading it again. Just need to check with VM's

Why dont they just print it in Chinese :blink:blink

Andi

20. BosonMichael

Umm... yes, it was SPECIFICALLY designed for that purpose: to enable people who are responsible for IT support to learn the software. :rolleyes: