Teaching A+ 801/802 certification out-of-date!

Discussion in 'A+' started by mvbiii, Aug 9, 2014.

1. mvbiii

mvbiii New Member

I teach A+ oriented classes at multiple California community colleges. I'm getting a great deal of grief from students about the emphasis on the 801/802 on XP. I'm sure CompTIA will update the A+ in 2015 (I hope) but what do I tell students in the fall and spring semesters? I'm aware that there are still millions of XP users but students don't want to have to learn this "obsolete" OS.

2. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

the fact remains that many people around the world still use Windows XP, therefore compTIA have included the need to know this to be a qualified A+ technician... that's all you can tell them.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  3. LinuxMint

LinuxMint Bit Poster

The place where I'm working currently is still not fully upgraded from XP to 7.

Why would you get grief for teaching your students what CompTIA requires them to know? Do they want to pass the exam or fail it? You weren't the one who decided that XP needs to be included in the exam.

I took an A+ preparation class in 2012. Why was I learning about Windows 2000 when Microsoft ceased offering updates for that OS in 2010? Answer? Because that's what CompTIA required people to know!

Perhaps you are spending too much time teaching XP? If you watch Professor Messer's videos you'll notice that his main focus is on Windows 7. Could that be their complaint? Sure, they need to know about XP. But the majority of your focus should be on Windows 7. Windows 7 should be the "base" of your teaching and then you should point out the differences in Vista and 7.

This forum seems deadsville lately. What's the deal?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014