TCP/IP Probs???

Discussion in 'Networks' started by kat731, Oct 11, 2005.

1. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi all,
    one of our customers today gave me a headache!!!!!!!!!!! He has a 2nd machine upsatirs-XP, with WI-FI. All was running well untill he called me this morning saying it connects, but if you reboot it cant find a wi-fi connection... The icon in sys tray says excellent conn, but in view wireless n/wks, there is no conn.... The only way i can get it connected is to uncheck TCP/IP, and recheck it, it then connects............ He says that he installed PC Guard from Blueyonder last night... so, this must be a consideration?? I disabled it all, F/wall etc... but no dice.... It did pick up 2 viruses when he installed it, so, im starting to think some damage has already been done??? Im just at a loss as to why it drops the TCP/IP after a reboot???? Appreciate any pointers, before it gets zeroed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Try not just disabling but actually uninstalling the software he recently installed. I found PC Guard by Googling but I'm not sure what "blueyonder" is. My guess is that there's something about the software that is skrewing up his wireless connection.

Also (this is getting to be a standard phrase) run a full virus and spyware scan. Sounds like he may have picked up some unwanted passengers when he downloaded and installed the software.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Thanks Trip,

thats what i told him, get rid of this PC Guard as it must be conflicting... He wont though, he said iv been told its good!!!(Yeh, so good it F****D up ya PC....) i cant argue... Hes the customer............... Thats why all he would let me do was disable its functions........... Trip, Blueyonder is one of our UK ISP's....
    Kat

4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

you know what I tell customers when they say things like that? how come it didnt work for you and it worked for everyone else? cos you probably dont know how to use it!!! no seriously I would simply tell them fine thats all good and true but this is what I use and since I am the one who is going to fix your problem I suggest you listen to me and take my advice on board (of course I wouldnt go that far but you get the hang of it...
    :D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  5. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi Noel........

low and behold.............. he just emailed.... can i come and restore it and put Norton back on...............Lol..(I might...... ;-) )Lol..

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I try to tell guys like these that I'm not going to destroy PC Guard (or whatever), just uninstall it and test the wireless connection. If it makes no difference, I'll reinstall it but if it seems to be the cause of the problem, all they can do is leave it off and try to find another solution or contact whoever supports the software, bitch about it and see if *they* have a solution...

...all the while maintaining professional composure of course. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!! dont do Norton mate....anything but Norton...but then again if thats what he wants..well he cant say you didnt warn him...you have warned him about Norton have u?

8. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Most days with some... i feel like im talking to myself.......... deep breath Kat.........................................

Noel, its what he wants and knows(sort of;-)....Lol.. Its swings and roundabouts with these anti-v/Spyware/Repair suites... everybody i meet likes Norton, dosent like Norton... depends what works for ya.... Obviously u dont??? whats ur pref over it then?? iv always been happy with it, but open to suggestions and reviews.............
    Kat

9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Zone Alarm all the way for me...only cos I know to configure it and I give it to others to use it...if it dont work on their machines then I give them McAfee All in One and I only install the firewall and anit-virus software from the CD...I use AVG for anti virus and have ad-aware and Spybot S&D...also have McAfee Anti spyware and the new Zone Alarm also a built in spyware program...so am well protected...

10. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Yeh, well, ZA.... everytime iv come into contact with it, its been problematic for people... maybe its them maybe its not... Sygate for me... AVG?? what the free one?? ummm, ok, only use it as a last resort for people who want protection but cant pay for something better...... Adaware professional for me... dont suffer with spyware, but just in case....Kat

11. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

norton can be a big headache imho kat.

tried getting it off my mates pc and it took about 5 hours, fair enough i wasn't fully educated in what i was doing but it gets everywhere!

but like you said , what works for some, may not for others! :tongue

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

yes I use the free version of AVG and also have Ad-Aware Pro...but like moomin says works for some and not for others...

13. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Thats a good point Moom......

I get alot of that on my jobs, tried to uninstall Norton, but bits of it left, which can be a prob for re-installations... there is a tool i think on Symantec.com that actually clears all bits of Norton... iv got it somewhere, sure i have.............
    K

14. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Makes you wonder why they dont put that tool into there uninstall option on the software in the first place !! :blink

AVG Free and Zonealarm for me too plus Adaware and Spybot S&D

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  15. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

If someone doesn't want to pay then i stick AVG and Sygate on. Hassle free :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Norton has two problems. Firstly it requires subscriptions to keep the virus definitions up to date and just about everyone lets those subscriptions expire. Hence you have a useless product. Secondly it slows even P4 machines down to a crawl. It is way too bloated and resource hungry.

If you want to give a PC the boost of it's life, forget upgrading the RAM or CPU, just uninstall Norton and it will fly :biggrin

I have said this before but I will say it again, why pay for a virus solution for home use when you can use AVG Free edition available from http://free.grisoft.com/doc/Get+AVG+FREE/lng/us/tpl/v5

It is not resource hungry and works as well as any other anti-virus product, downloading program and definition updates can be scheduled and have always been FREE! I have used it for years and can't remember the last time I got a virus. I think it was AnticmosA that infected all my floppies about eight years ago before AVG was around.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)