Taskbar Notification Area Local Area Connection - Disable

Discussion in 'Software' started by hippy, Sep 26, 2007.

1. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

How do i get so a network connection does not show in the notification area? Im currently making a GPO to lock down the computers at work, but i cant work out how to kill the icon off... Through it you still can disable the network connection and because ive locked down control panel you have to use an account in a different OU to re-enable the connection.

Thanks

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Can you not hide the taskbar?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Just uncheck the box in the properties of the connection in the network connections section. "show icon in notification area when connected".

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  4. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Personally, I *like* seeing the icon so that I *know* it's connected, and the little flashing lights show that data is passing.

If you're worried about them clicking on it to change something, block that behavior by disallowing network changes through Group Policy. Learn to use those GPOs... they're your best friend, when implemented properly.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

I did disable this that and the other one in the GPO.. but for some reason i could still get all the way in and disable the network connection through that icon. I will have to look at it tomorrow. I need to order my pizza for tea now :D

7. BosonMichael

Group Policy sometimes needs a couple of reboots to take effect.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Thats so true, I always have to reboot a few times for certain policies to take place.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

True. Once ive got the icon sorted through X means my GPO will be complete :). Its not just a network lockdown but a general lockdown policy :twisted:

10. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Well its all working now and i left the notification icon (you have to keep mike happy :p). I noticed in win2003 AD there is an option to disable it :).

11. BosonMichael

Heh! You don't need to make me happy... make yourself happy. I simply suggested that it can be helpful when troubleshooting. :) There is no "right way".

12. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Just say "thank you" hippy :P

13. BosonMichael

"Thank you" hippy :biggrin

14. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

"Whos a good boy? Whos a good boy?!" **gives mike a doggy biscuit**

15. BosonMichael

woof! :p

16. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

You guys have officially lost the plot :biggrin:ohmy:D

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA