Taking The Plunge

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by bmurray2005, Sep 11, 2006.

1. bmurray2005

bmurray2005 Bit Poster

Ok, im not placing any blame at anyones door here but after careful consideration iv decided to go it alone and self study for my A+. so heres my first question:
    im not claiming to be Dr Frankenstein but i have opened my fair share of PC's. i have never broken them or myself with any kind of electric discharge but the book is telling me i should use a wristy thing to prevent this happening, is it necessary and where do i buy one??

2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

It's necessary in that you can open a hundred PC cases and not blow anything, but you can guarantee the once it does happen will get you into a lot of trouble with someone.

For a wrsit strap, try here.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. bmurray2005

bmurray2005 Bit Poster

i could get easily used to the help available on here, i just hope im able to return the favours sooner rather than later.

thanks again.:biggrin

p.s baba is one of my favourite songs

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Bear in mind that whilst studying for the exam, using an anti-static wrist strap is considered to be obligatory.

However, in the real world you will come across people that do not use them, simply because they get in the way and can hamper your productivity. This does not necessarily mean that these people are not competent, it may mean that they are taking other precautions to prevent anti-static discharge. For example, static voltages build up when you are moving around, especially on nylon carpets etc. If you have discharged yourself before touching any electronic components and you stay discharged by keeping in contact with ground (the PC case for example) and you don't move around or brush your hair you can get away with it and many people rely on techniques such as these.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

It's the all time greatest in my book. My avatar used to be Keith Moon so it all made a bit more sense. When I felt like a change I went for another legendary drummer.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  6. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

good luck with self study and do have a look at this link

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I have a PSU lead with only the earth pin in the plug. This way, i can work on a <dead> system with ESD protection too. :)

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT