Taking both exams at once

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by zimbo, May 15, 2006.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Anyone heard of anyone taking both 271 and 272 at once? Think its a good idea? Im steam rolling through 271 as its just lighter revision to 270 and i do mean lighter revision. What i was thinking was study for both then write them one after each other... you see work is getting touchy with me going off to write exams! :dry

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Zim,

I would advise against taking 2 on the same day. Is it because the centre is far away from you?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

no its not far.. its just work is getting touchy.. when the boss gives you comments like "well you know we have deadlines" and "we need to get worked done" :(

to be honest i wouldnt like to do them but if i got no choice then so be it! just thought i woould ask what you guys think?

4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Book a day off on the day / days you want to take the test. Then your boss won't have any reason to give you grief.

As for taking both on one day, sure, if you think you are capable and know the material for both exams well enough, why not.

It's not something I would do even for exams that are less hard than others, but it's your call at the end of the day.

I think WagnerK (Ken) may of taken them both on the same day, or possible on consecutive days, will have to ask him. He's a bloody right swatty git though, he passes MCP's like he's breaking wind, ie allot. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Tell your boss where to go, seriously! :ohmy

Your boss should be way more supportive of you gaining certs which will help you do a better job.

Just to save any trouble could you take the exam on a Saturday? 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. MonkeyWrench

MonkeyWrench Nibble Poster

Having done both I'd say it's definitely possible, but would you really want to tackle a hundred questions in one day?! :)

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-270, CCNA
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I agree with you there MW, I think my head would explode even if I was confident with the material.

I have sat 4 hour exams before and they are no fun at all.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

As someone else suggested Zimbo, you could try taking your test on a day when your not working. I managed to find a centre about 40-50 miles from me that was open for testing till dinner time on Saturday's.

Maybe you can find something similar where you are ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

after a long think about this and with work commitments im going to do both exams 1st week july. Im more than ready for 271 and have started cracking 272. Will hope to do 271 on the monday/tuesday and 272 on a friday. Anyone think im crazy - but i feel from what i have learnt in 270 and 290 i know more than enough for 271 reading from the EC2 book.

10. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

sure you can, I passed both 271 and 272 on the same day (a saturday), and I also passed all MCSA exams on the same day (also a saturday)

I couldn't find any Saturday test centres on the Internet, however when I phoned up PearsonVUE, they were able to put me to a Saturday test centre (in Tooting) at convenient hours.

There's also one in Paddington that I know of, has lots of slots on Saturdays

Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...
  11. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

err how did you do 290 and 291 on the same day? :eek:

12. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

sorry bout the double post! :mrgreen:

13. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

I was in a scenario where my work hours were not flexible (13.5 hours a day, having to work almost everyday and special holidays only granted if requested long ahead of time)

So similar to your situation, I got myself ready for all the tests first and then I book to do them all.

Well, now that I've changed job I shouldn't have to do the same in the future :D but just to say....it is possible if you wish (or had to), just not a very good practice....

Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...
  14. phoenix510

phoenix510 Byte Poster

Good luck Zimbo, all I would say is take a moment or 2 between each one to compose ya self...not to cram but just get ya mind sorted and squared away for the next one.

Certifications: ECDL, MOS WORD & Excel, MCDST
    WIP: A+ & 70-270
  15. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

hence why i said monday the one and friday the other... but im trying to work out a plan with the boss to get some time off... :dry