Taking a break from IT

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by MrNerdy, Aug 18, 2007.

1. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

I've decided to take a break from IT for 6 months.
    Thanks everyone for all your advice over the last few months.
    I will still post & give advice when i can.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

All the best, going anywhere good ? :D

3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Best of luck MrNerdy, I know a few people who could use a break too. I know this field is great but can also take up a lot of your time.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You know what? I think I'm gonna take a break from IT for 6 months too.

:biggrin

:tune

:study

:bla

:unsure

:blink

This is freakin boring! I'm gonna go out of my mind!!! How will I fill those 8 hours a day without doing IT? :shocked

okay, screw it, back to IT... :onthePC

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Why mate???? :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Are you taking 6 months off work? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

No Sparky, I think he's taking 6 months off reading the N+ book - apparently you don't have to work in IT to be in IT lol!!!:p

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

LOL! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Basically Bluerinse i have started to hate IT.:(
    I used to love working as an IT Tech in the NHS but since the job finished & i took up studying full time i have lost my way & interest in IT.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  10. drum_dude

oops sorry :(

Good luck with whatever you decide to pursue!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  11. BosonMichael

IT's not for everyone. If you don't love it, it's probably not a good field for you to be in. Those who do love it will tend to do very well in it... which isn't good for you if you don't love it.

I wish you luck with whatever you decide!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. drum_dude

I love myself...oops I missed out "IT" there... :)

13. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well its not always clear cut, I've had many good and bad points in my career, generally i'd say I love IT more than I love working in IT, I don't think this is uncommon as a job is different to a hobby, you will find that you need to conform to someone elses idea of what is required for the job. Politics and other things can come into the equation.

You said you liked your tech job ? Why did you like it if you don't like IT ? Maybe you just don't like studying ? (Which granted if you want to go far in IT is required.)

People overdo the whole year out thing, but its important to mix things up a bit, train hard and then soft, or go and do something completely different every now and then...

14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thanks for the clarification MrNerdy. That's a shame, hopefully you will find another field that lights your fire.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Nice one <<cant add any more smilies>>

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  16. BosonMichael

Yeah, I maxed them out with my post... the 8 smiley limitation is troublesome when I've got just one more emotion to display. :p

17. Moif

Moif Bit Poster

I'm also on the verge. I'm going to try and move away from predominantly 100% MS systems and focus on my *nix side. Hopefully with some credentials I can sidestep into something that doesn't involved wizards and clicking next all the time :)

18. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I'm going to add my 2c here
    and whilst a few of you will understand where I'm coming from
    a great many of you will probably want to hang me, I'm used to that though

There's no real way to beat around the bush here, so I will just come out and say it
    being successful in IT requires a great deal of love and dedication, both of IT, and working in IT
    if at that early point in your career your having doubts, its possible its not for you

being successful in IT requires a yearning for knowledge and improvement beyond just 'oo look at how this PC plugs together' it requires you to actively enjoy and get excited by things as and when they happen, and even before they happen!' it also requires a great deal of will power, determination and self sufficiency
    bored of your current study path? fair enough, we have all been there, go learn about something new, rattle a few cages and find out what else is out there and cool, today I built a SoftGrid environment, did a few tests and gawked in amazement at how simple its become from the old days, the moved on to fiddling with something else

Works not like that, we know that, that's why techs dedicate a lot of there income, spare time, and hair! to improving themselves, and it's those techs who get the pay off at the end of the day

We have all seen the job ads that expect you to of used every product under the sun, that's cool, imagine if you could say 'sure I know about X Y and Z, when candidate B only knows about X and Y, instant step ahead. don't thing self study and experience counts for anything? pah, ofcourse it does! just don't pretend its anything BUT what it is, your more likely to hit the ground running if you have actually used a product, in whatever sense, than someone who's never even seen it

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you don't have that sort of approach out the door, your never going to climb out of tech support, and whilst some people love that, I cant see it really being the career of choice for most people in IT in fact I worked along side people years ago who are still in the same job, doing the same stuff, for the same money, and I really feel sorry for the lack of drive they have to be anything above and beyond

Anyway I digress, I think the point I am making is a cold blunt one (I'm no diplomat)
    if your serious about IT, and can honestly say you like it, then do whatever it takes to keep that vibe, and improve yourself over the years, if you seriously have doubts, drop it now and find something else to do, IT is a stressful business at the best of times and if you honestly cant find 100% joy out of it, it's not the future your looking for.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  19. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Phoenix, I totally agree with the sentiment but as I mellow in my old age I do see some middle ground. Not everyone can get the plum job and not everyone can know everything.

Do I expect them to know everything? hell no, do I expect them to try hell yeah ! There should certainly be no room for people in dev or research jobs that only want to do a straight 40 hour week. :biggrin

Aren't you slightly arguing against yoursef there ? You say its not all about shiny new things and play, then you say you had a play with softgrid ? The point is in real work you often won't get to decide whats critical, or important, or the solution or required tech. Yep you can quit an move on but what about the COBOL support programmers or the mainframe guys, do they do not do a valid job too ?

Well I have a few major problems with this statement, and that is often thoose that are best educated do not actually get treated that well by society or the job market, in fact often they end up retraining and doing something arguably less cerebral, many even enter IT ! ;)
    I also think the TopTrumps school of recruitment is patently ridiculous, this is foisted on us by bad management and bad recruiters that can only differentiate based on string matching of buzzwords. Today I was asked if I was an expert in API for godsake ! I had to explain that the term in itself is fairly meaningless without a context.

I can't disagree that hard work, vision and drive are generally a good thing. However sometimes a change or break is just whats required ! :biggrin

20. BosonMichael

Quoted For Absolute Truth.