Take exams with no training

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by danking12345, Apr 15, 2010.

1. danking12345

danking12345 New Member

Hi

I am new to the forum and was wondering whether its possible to take the MCSA and MCSE exams without paying for all the training.

I have all the books and study material so dont want to pay out for all that again. If it is possible where can I apply to take the exam and how much is it likely to cost?

Thanks for your help.

Dan

2. SuPaStA

SuPaStA Nibble Poster

Yes you can self-study, every exam is about £90.I did the same for my MCSE.
    Prometric offer the Microsoft exams and they have test centres all around the UK.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
    Certifications: CCNA,MCSE,ITIL,Server+,Security+,N+...
    WIP: CCNP
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

With MS exams it is possible. You should have around 3 years' experience daily use of the technologies pertaining to the exams you're going to sit (real-world experience, not in a lab). Without that you won't pass legitimately, and will be unemployable due to being paper-certificated.

If you've got the experience, I'd still advise having a look at some of the (legit) preperation exams that are out there - that will tell you what areas you're weak on so you don't end up wasting money. Also, believe me, from experience I can tell you that there are plenty of questions on exams that you would never experience in the real world, so it pays to invest in some training, even if it's only CBT-based

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. Jonny70

Jonny70 Bit Poster

I second that you can pass Microsoft certifications fine using self study given that you have the experience to back it up. I want to reiterate the importance of having experience to pair with your certifications. Not only with having working knowledge of the technologies make getting certified easier--it is essential to getting a job after you get certified! Most employers want to see certifications and experience on your cv not just certifications.

5. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

I think you can get away with no experience for some of the client exams, i mean, win7, it's not really possible of having a few years exp in.

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No, but it's possible to have a year's experience administering clients in a domain environment.

Plus, Win7 was released to manufacturing on July 22, 2009, and the beta's been out since January 9, 2009. So it's possible to have over 16 months experience with Win7.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!