Tablets

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shadowwebs, Aug 3, 2012.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Do I or Don't I go ahead and buy the Nexus 7 google tablet 16gb model... hmmmm

Pro's & Con's people please

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Or perhaps wait and see if Apple release the anticipated iPad mini in September (rumoured announcement is the 12th with a release on the 21st).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

i didnt know about a mini ipad, will await further news coming out about that one me thinks

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  4. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

Get it, it's awesome.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Why? And what are you refering to? The Mini iPad or the Nexus?

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

I refer to the Nexus, I haven't seen a mini iPad yet. I bought the Nexus and it is a very good tablet, my only problem is that now my nephew wants to take it away from me so I will have to buy him one to shut him up.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I have the Motorola Xoom and I really like it... a buddy of mine got the Nexus 7 and loves it too... Personally for me, for a tablet, I rather have the 10" inch screen. I am curious to see what the iPad mini is going to look like.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

I have the HP Touchpad (10") running ICS Android and love it! I have been debating whether to get the Nexus as It may be a little more portable and handy for Kindle Ebooks/Training videos on the move - just need to find the cash. :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  9. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I also have a Xoom, bought it about a year ago for a very low price at Heathrow while flying to Orlando. But tbh, I haven't used it that much, it was just curiosity that made me get it I guess (and the free champagne in the airline lounge). It's just last week that it finally received the update to ICS having been running Honeycomb from day 1. Used to be very crash prone, much more stable now. It's alright for quickly checking something on the internet if the computer I'm on is busy with a full-screen app (say a game). But I tend to browse the internet more on my Windows Phone anyway...

It has some nice games tho', so that's always neat, and I've used it to watch quite a few movies/TV series episodes. IMO, a 7" screen might be just a tad too small to make that comfortable, ~10" or higher just feels more natural with less eye strain.

I'm definitely looking forward to a Windows 8 tablet, x86/x64 version rather than RT, so that not only can I watch my movies, but I can maybe also play some games (wouldn't be too bad if it had an Intel HD4000 chipset I guess) and of course all my apps for office use. That's one of the main reasons I don't foresee myself using an Android or iPad tablet as much, since Microsoft Office is a toolset I really do rely on quite a lot. Would be absolutely fantastic if they could release a tablet with 256GB (or more) of disk space (on an SSD) and 8GB (or more) of RAM, and supporting a hypervisor. Then I could even carry a mini lab with me wherever I go :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM