T1 Internet connection?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by kobem, Mar 13, 2011.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

Normally, usually, analog phone lines are used to provide Internet by DSL or taking advantage of cable modems. However, i heard of T1 leased lines also could be able to do same thing. But i wonder how? Think that there is no WIC(for DSL) or modems only T1 line.

That time, what equipment else should i need to establish Internet connection across T1 line?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
    Certifications: CCNA
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

A router maybe?

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Correct me if im wrong guys, but I understood that cable didn't use phone lines but, like T1, actually used its own dedicated line. Hence why the connection speed can be so much more than DSL.

Ergo, since you need a router to use cable, logic dictates the same stands for T1.

.....Perhaps it's my ignorance shining through, but this feels like the sort of topic Cisco might do a course on. Hell, it might even put it into a certification of some sort.....

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I thought T1 lines were just a bunch of ISDN bonded together to give a single fast connection?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Byte Poster

From what I can remember you need a router connected to a CSU/DSU provided by the T1 carrier.

Certifications: N+
    WIP: A+ Security+ ITIL V3
  7. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

i searched about it a lot before asking you. However, i found Cisco 1700 routers only. Nevertheless, this
    doesn't refer as an answer to my question.

what i am trying to say is "not" the integrated DSL cards used on routers. Instead of DSL, i am willing to use dedicated T1 lines but not for establishing point-to-point leased line connection between two sites. To
    have an Internet connection using T1 as opposed to it.

At this time, router has an integrated DSL card is not the answer. Moreover, T1 with CSU/DSU or router has an integrated CSU/DSU is not the answer cos i do not want point-to-point serial.

So, whats the answer then?

8. Sparky

Sorry, whats the question? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

There's your answer.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

ignore Internet connection over DSL and
    possibilities on routers about it such as integrated WICs.

Assume you installed routers on each end and you want to make it possible your routers to communicate by the way of site-to-site VPN. You are required to establish Internet connection for each end. For this, you wanted to use T1 for one side and DSL for the other side.

Here how DSL operates is not a problem. What about the side which uses T1? If its the case to set up point-to-point using T1, router with external CSU/DSU or router with WIC is enough. But, what i need is having
    Internet connection for one side using T1. So, while running this, what am i supposed to equip "additionally" unlike
    pointo-point connection with T1?

11. Sparky

A static IP address at each site and a VPN tunnel setup no? The VPN tunnel to be setup depending on the hardware you have and any security standards.

Am I missing the point here? :blink

12. Macfly!

Macfly! Bit Poster

This seems an odd question, because if you purchase a T1 line from a telco by default this will be a leased line and have 2 end points only and no connection to the internet, how can you have a T1 with only one end connected? so the other end wont be via DSL!

The only way to get an internet connection via a T1 is if one end of the leased lines is connected to a router that also has a seperate connection to the internet and you route to it.

A T1 is only 1.544Mbps so a DSL would more than likely be faster and cost a lot less.

Mac

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA
  13. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Back when I had my business I used to be a Partner for Entanet. They offered leased lines (T1 etc.).

There is a bit of info HERE with a diagram if that helps.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  14. Sparky

Weird. I've seen T1 VPNs setup with a DSL failover on each site.

15. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

please follow up this link below cos my question is highly related to it :

http://www.skullbox.net/vpn.php

watch for the site-to-site VPN topic here.

Look at these sentences quoted from that link below.

Site-to-site is the same much the same thing as point-to-point except there is no "dedicated" line in use. Each site has it's own internet connection which may not be from the same ISP or even the same type. One may have a T1 while the other only has DSL.

16. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

me too we have one at work although it was just 24 channel ISDN a few years back. T1 connected to routers with routers connected to DSL

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  17. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I dunno the answer.

I never got a Cisco cert.
    They must be quite good though...

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  18. Macfly!

Macfly! Bit Poster

Looking at the site and it's quote "One may have a T1 while the other only has DSL" is a bit misleading because in my opinion they are talking about a primary rate ISDN line, and not what most people would call a T1.

Mac

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA
  19. Sparky

I think the point is that you can have any type of connection at each site.

20. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

But, please watch the sentence just before it carefully. It says "Each site has it's own internet connection which may not be from the same ISP or even the same type."

next sentence following it is : "One may have a T1 while the other only has DSL."

Forget the router which is required to go for DSL over PoTS, think the router which is supposed to have T1 during site-to-site VPN. The situation which T1 equipped router is attached to other one by going through ISP without touching the Internet means point-to-point leased line. But i do not want it. I wanna that router is connected by passing across "the Internet" using T1 to the other router instead of making point-to-point.

At this time, should that router also have DSL simultaneously?