T&L compatible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fanatical, May 30, 2006.

1. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

is the Geforce fx 5200le T&L compatible? just been lent a game from a mate and graphics are really choppy and occasionaly refresh goes wrong. Game only requires 64mb of graphics and there 128mb on the card (not a lot but enough) then I notice this small print about T&L compatability. Anyone know if my card is ok to use in this instance??

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Google the specs of the card it will probably give you the answer you need.

Off the top of my head, all Nvidia chipset cards since GeForce 4's have had hardware T&L as a feature. So an FX 5200 should defo have it ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

Did the google and i'm none the wiser. if it is t and l compatable then why does the perforamnce suck so much?

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Well - there is more to gfx performance than just T&L! It is possible that the game needs other advanced things, which the drivers are trying to emulate.

The usual way of checking this sort of thing is to look for the forums for the game in question. These frequently include a section on compatible hardware - and suchlike performance issues.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

As Harry says it could be allot of different factors affecting the frame rate.

Look at the properties of your video card in the Display part of Control panel. You should have some tabs that are specific to the card manufacturer.

Try downloading the latest drivers from Nvidia. Look for a Quality / Speed slider in the display properties. If it's all the way over to Quality, shift it the other way to Speed / Performance. Try unchecking the 'sync to frames' option either in the game itself or in the display properties page.

Check if Anti-Aliasing is enabled, if it is, turn it off. Only top end cards are capable of this at a decent frame rate.

Check your BIOS, look for AGP settings like AGP Fast Writes, turn it on if it's turned off.

Look at the options in the game, use a lower screen resolution, turn the draw distance down (if available), or change the graphical quality settings like smoke or fogging off etc....

Finanlly, if you want a cheap speed increase that 100% guarenteed to work, stick some go faster stripes / lighning bolts on the side of your base unit. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

I thought anything after the TnT2 had T&L but it's been a long day so I could be wrong.
    Anyway, tech specs for the 5200's http://www.nvidia.com/page/pg_20040109440047.html
    You'll notice the LE isnt listed, not sure of the ins and outs but LE's always have some of the functionality of the chip crippled. They may even be regular 5200s that didn't make the grade eg some pipelines don't work, won't work at the stock speed etc. Sometimes you get a good one and you can get more performance out of it but Google will tell you a lot more about that.
    As Modey says, the card ain't the only thing in your rig that could be causing the slowdown you describe. What game is it by the way and what specs have you got?
    Oh, You might want to experiment with your graphics drivers as well, you may find the latest driver isn't the best for your card. And have a look at RivaTuner as well
    http://content.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner very handy for squeezing the most out of your card.
    I'm shutting up now because I'm rambling and I'm off for a lie down.

Lord Deckard.

WIP: N+ and CCNA
  7. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

It's called "crashday", I thought it looked a bit of a laugh and my mate said I could have it as he'd only played it for 5 minutes then gone on to something better!

just for comparrison the spec of my pc is

P4 2.9.Ghz
    1g mem at 200mhz (I think)
    The afformentioned graphics card

Can;t remember more off hand but seems a pretty reasonable spec for this game....

8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I see there is a patch for it to deal with some probs on some video cards, among other things. And they say that there are probs with some NVidia gfx cards which a future patch/driver update might improve.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+