systems administrator

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by hussainwadiwalla, May 27, 2010.

1. hussainwadiwalla

hussainwadiwalla Bit Poster

Hi all,

Currently I am employed as a application analyst, but want to move into a windows system administrator role. I plan to firstly obtain CompTIA A+ and Server+. But thinking of the stage after this, would it be wise to go for MCSA/MCSE or MCITP.

I am not sure about the real difference, they seem to have the same theme, i would like to know which is the more appropriate one, or even if its the right way to go to become a windows system admin.

regards,

Hussain

Certifications: A+, Network+
  2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Depending on your experience instead of Server+ I would do Network+ as it's a good cert for gaining knowledge. After that it's a difficult call as MCSA/MCSE is still much sought after by employers and Windows 2003 will be used for years to come by companies. Personally I like the newer exams better as they are more targeted at specific technologies. If push come to shove and I was in your shoes I would probably do what I did and get the MCSA and then move onto the newer certs in areas I was interested in like AD and Exchange.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. hussainwadiwalla

hussainwadiwalla Bit Poster

I see thanks for your reply.

Is there a difference between MCSA and MCSE?

Thanks.

Certifications: A+, Network+
  4. tornado

tornado Bit Poster

An MCSA requires less exams than an MCSE.

You can upgrade your MCSA to an MCSE.

MCSE is considered better as it takes more exams to get it.

I am currently working on my MCSA at the moment too.

Certifications: MCDST & Security+
    WIP: ZCE PHP5
  5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

MCSA is 4 exams and MCSE is 7 exams. I''m pretty sure that MCSE is all the exams in MCSA plus 3 more so in a sense you get an MCSA on your way to passing the MCSE. You can also use other exams like A+ and Network+ as an elective exam. Look on Microsoft's Learning website as it's pretty clear what you have to do for each cert.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Yeah but that would require him to do a google search instead of relying on someone else to do the work for him. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Thats it exactly, if you pass your MCSE you also gain your MCSA (I certainly did). You can also use the Sec+ as an elective (again something I did).

One thing that needs to be made clear, if you're new to Systems Admin work then you should perhaps wait for the MCSA, the consensus is that you need around 6 months exposure to the technology for the MCSA and 12 - 18 months for the MCSE (and certain MCITPs as well .. for example the EA and SA courses).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA