System Shutdown!

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by deepdale11, Jun 22, 2006.

1. deepdale11

deepdale11 Bit Poster

Hi,

I am after some help,my daughters p.c. keeps shutting down when she is on the internet,the message is,

indicated by NT authority/system.
    the system process
    c:/windows/system32/services.exe terminated unexpectidly with status code 1073741819

Does anybody know what this is?? someone did say are the microsoft updates upto date? them are not switched on,would this be the problem?? it is xp pro.

Regards

Chris

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Switch on the Auto Updates and get your system protected! :eek:

The fix for this particullar error, I believe (if memory serves), involves going into the Admin Tools, Services, RPC, and enabling the service to restart after a failure, rather than its default behaviour (sp?) of Restarting the Computer.

8)

3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

first of all put service pack 2 on... then download nod32 at www.nod32.com (evaluation edition) - you been hit by blaster32 worm.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Oh Yeah! I forgot that was one of the things it did! Christ that was almost three years ago just after I started my new job we got hit by that! Aparently AV wasn't important until I started! :eek:

5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

when i used to use nortons... every single time i formatted my machine and went online without the service pack i used to get hit by it... every single time... we talking 6 times in one year - 2003/4...

6. deepdale11

deepdale11 Bit Poster

Thanks for all the replys, she has norton 2006 on her p.c.and did download blaster remove tool but it said blasterworn is not on there??

7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

you need Service Pack 2 and remove nortons av - its useless and i can seen it with my own eyes!

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It may or may not be a virus Sasser/Blaster did similar things but essentially services.exe controls when services are loaded, hence if a service which is needed by windows itself fails then the computer will want to re-boot.

I agree that before you start trying to find a virus or any malware responsible for this. you should update the computer to SP2 and download all the latest patches. There are patches which specifically relate to this kind of issue.

If you have problems downloading because of the re-booting, you can temporarily disable the re-boot by shelling out to the command prompt and typing shutdown -a

If the problem still persists after doing the updates, then that is the time to start delving into possible malware infection.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I can only echo what Bluerinse said.

Use the Shutdown -a from the command prompt.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346