System Restore question

Discussion in 'A+' started by greenbrucelee, Feb 2, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Now I am pretty sure this won't come up in my A+ exams but I am sure it will be or something similar when I do the MCDST anyhow I would like to know is there a way to burn the image windows restore takes of the computer onto a Disc?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The directory is locked down by default and is held in C:\ System Volume Information. I don’t think there is a full image of the machine in there, more like recorded changes of your system so you can roll back if needed.
    To recovery directly from disk you are probably looking at a 3rd party product for best results or ntbackup. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. greenbrucelee

ah right I thought it was an actual ISO, but I suppose thats what Norton Ghost is for.

4. Sparky

Yup, haven’t used Ghost in a while but it saves a file with the extension .gho. From that file you can browse the whole image of the PC and restore files if needed or use the image to restore the whole PC.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. greenbrucelee

I may look into getting ghost just in case, you can never have to many ways of restoringa system should the worst happen.

6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

When I looked into disk imaging software recently I discovered that Ghost hadn't been brought up to date for some time.

The current favourite, which I bought in the end, seems to be Acronis True Image. It worked very well for me when my hard disk went bad.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. popeye67

popeye67 Bit Poster

Ti just works. At several places that i support it became weapon of choice. Connect external drive (fw if at all possible) run TI and then restore it for test purposes on another box (even completely different hardware) with universal restore. well worth the money.

hth

additional info ; some people are reporting problems with version 11. I'm still on 9.1 and works well with anything that I've throw at it. Will try later with w2008k server. Anyone done vista restore yet ? Ive done xp, server 2k, server 2k3, sbs, some of them running exchange / and or / sql and never had a single problem. Yes you'll need to spend a bit of time going through event logs but thats about it.

8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Just thought I'd mention that with Vista you can take a full copy of your system using Image X. Actually now that I have just wrote that you could do it with xp too as Image X is part of the WAIK.

8)

9. greenbrucelee

Cheers Guys.

10. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

I'll second what Harry and Popeye have said about Acronis TI.
    I've used both the workstation and Enterprise Server editions and have never had any issues restoring XP, Vista or Server 2k/2k3. It does exactly what it says on the tin.

HTH
    NB:D

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  11. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Yup Acronis True Image is the best i have come across in while.

WIP: LIFE
  12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

another vote for acronis. :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  13. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I always use norton ghost. Although I am curious to try Acronis True Image.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  14. Sparky

15. greenbrucelee

I may get Acronis or Ghost when it comes to me buying it'll be the one thats most upto date that I get. :)

16. Sparky

17. greenbrucelee

18. popeye67

popeye67 Bit Poster

Would be interesting to hear what people who used both Ghost and TI think. My experiences with ghost (very very very limited) was ; slow, unreliable and totally useless when it comes to restoring w2k and w2k3 servers. Anyone had any problems using TI version >9.1 ?

Saying that I love simple. Simple is good, simple is your friend. And TI ticks all the necessary boxes. Even restore over ftp is point and click.