Synchronising time on domain computers

Discussion in 'Software' started by reverb, Jan 8, 2013.

1. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

Do computers on the domain automatically synchronise with the DC (Windows 2003) when you log on?

There are some computers at work where the time is a little off and I would have thought that logging off and on (and reboot) again would correct it but it doesn't. The time on the server was also corrected and only a manual sync from the command prompt works.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It should do but you can add a logon script if needed.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Define a little off? By default you're allowed a 5 minute skew before Kerberos causes you an issue.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

The client computers were about 3 minutes behind the DC time. Anyhow, it seemed to have automatically synced to the DC time and I assume this is automatically done at set intervals. Set in group policy?

5. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

A default installation of AD and clients will result in the client computers requesting time syncs from their logon DC on a regular basis. There's very little need to modify this behavior unless you have atomic clocks that you wish to use or another third party time service. In these latter cases, a GPO can be used to publish alternative time keeping strategies for clients.

And in a default installation, DC's maintain time synchronization using a tree structure with a single DC at the top (running the PDCe role if I recall?) having to be the only one which should be configured to maintain time from, say, an internet time service provider (by default time.microsoft.com) and if internet access is blocked for the DC, an alternative can be configured in the CMD prompt if one doesn't want to use GPO's.

There's some useful articles on this if you do a little digging :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  6. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

AD is pretty crappy at keeping time in my experience. w32tm /resync I think to manually resync it.

It's a pain in the ass when you require time sensitive logging and such, I got so hacked off with it drifting at one point I scripted a registry hack customising the whole w32time service settings (client and server) and pushed it out so our servers would check in with our PDC every 10 mins or so. I'm sure there's a neater way of doing it via command line, but time (as it were) was off the essence.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??