Sylabus changes since 2002???

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by lyndonw, Dec 16, 2008.

1. lyndonw

lyndonw Bit Poster

May seem like a strange question but would one go very far wrong using CCNA study material dating back to 2002?

I know there is now the ICND1 & 2 track, but would there be many differences from the plain CCNA track from then and now?

Lyndon

WIP: CCNA
  2. shadds

shadds Bit Poster

I am currently studing the CCNA exploration cirriculum. I also asked my tutor about what the differences were and what study material was worth reading. ive been told that the material is mostly the same apart from some wireless in module 3, although some is taught in different modules than before.

Ive also looked it up on the internet and found this link with migration information if its any help

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2415189/CCNA-v31-StudentMigrationGuidelines

hope this helps
    shadds

3. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

lyndonw,

Back in 2002, the current Cisco exam was the 640-607 CCNA exam. On 30 September 2003, the 640-607 CCNA exam retired and was replaced by the 640-801 CCNA exam. On 3 November 2007, the 640-801 CCNA exam retired for non-Cisco Networking Academy students and was replaced by the 640-802 CCNA exam. You can also take and pass the 640-822 ICND1 exam and the 640-816 ICND2 exams to achieve CCNA certification. So to answer your question, you'd need to look at and compare the content changes between the 640-607 CCNA exam and the 640-802 CCNA exams. Does this help?

Source:
    1. Retired Certification Exams - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le11/learning_retired_certification_exams_list.html
    2. 640-607 CCNA - Cisco Certified Network Associate Exam (CCNA 640-607)* - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/640-607.html
    3. 640-801 CCNA - Cisco Certified Network Associate Exam - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/640-801.html
    4. 640-822 ICND1 - Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part 1 - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/640-822.html
    5. 640-816 ICND2 - Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part 2 - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/640-816.html
    6. 640-802 CCNA - Cisco Certified Network Associate Exam - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/640-802.html

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I dont know what the curriculum was back in 2002, but look at it this way, IT is a fast evolving field, IOS versions are upgraded, so newer commands are replacing old ones, the technologies will have improved, such as the emergence of wireless technologies, and web based configuration tools.

Also I think the exams have changed, what with the introduction of the CCENT.

I personally would use up to date materials

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

The old course materials will be practically worthless, they would have you learning how to configure 1900 switches (dead), would teach you the old way to create and manage VLANs, and make you learn lots of totally worthless (exam-wise) ISDN stuff. They wouldn't feature important parts of the new curriculum (GUI tools, VPN, SSH for instance).

In short, you wouldn't be able to rely on any of it, so you would have to get the new materials as well.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  6. lyndonw

lyndonw Bit Poster

Thanks for all of your replies guys - I feared this was the case.

The reason for asking is that my employer sent me on an ICND course for the week 15th Dec. The course material was marked (c) 2002 and the lab (shared amongst the five students) consisted of a 2621, 3x 2501 routers and 2 x 1900 switches. Those familiar with the Sybex Gold Simulator should recognise the lab setup! (The sim that we used for about 50% of the time - also dated from around that time).

To quote their website

This course prepares delegates for examination 640-802 (Cisco Certified Network Associate). Alternatively, delegates may elect to take the CISCO two-part qualification path: 640-822 ICND1, 640-816 ICND2​

Had I paid the full price (£1,500) myself I would be royally annoyed, but after badgering my boss he footed the bill (albeit with a discount). I'm still upset as I've now got to go and tell my boss not to send anyone else and that he wasted a considerable sum of money from his already stretched training budget - Happy New Year!!!!!

Sorry to vent but I'm particularly frustrated about having to relearn almost everything myself, which I should have probably done in the first place... There's no way I'm going to ask the boss to stump up for the exam costs now

7. lyndonw

lyndonw Bit Poster

Oops, forgot to mention the <edit>BRAINDUMP</edit> PDF's for 640-802, 640-821 and 640-861 that were given out. These PDF's are fairly current (within last 3 years!!!) We also got given a few bits of CBT from the MS Official Curriculum relating to routing.

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

So where did you do your training?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. lyndonw

lyndonw Bit Poster

That would be at e-academy, Cardiff

They are local to us and as a MS Gold Partner, VUE testing centre as well as holding ISO9001 accreditation I figured they were probably a safe bet.

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Unfortunately, they're not a safe bet if they provided PDFs from the source you named... because those are braindumps, illegal collections of questions from the live exam. Using them is cheating and can get you decertified for life. But they didn't tell you that... did they?

For anyone looking to train with them, I'd recommend that you avoid them at all costs. :dry

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!