Sybex vs MS Press

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by mad_maxx, Oct 29, 2008.

1. mad_maxx

mad_maxx Bit Poster

Hi there,

Booked my 70-290 for next Fri. I've watched through the CBT nuggets for this exam and am well on my way through the Sybex book.

I was advised on another forum to buy the Sybex book rather than the MS Press book, however having knowledge already gained from the CBT nuggets that I watched, and having had a brief look at an MS Press book in Waterstones, I have serious concerns as to whether or not the Sybex book is the better of the two.

For example..... I read a chapter which covered groups in the Sybex Book and didn't appear to cover much at all in terms of group scopes etc, but then went onto list all the default Server 2003/AD groups and their purposes. This was serveral pages worth. The MS Press book appears to be far more concise in terms of wording and content. The Sybex book also fails to cover LDIFDE and CSVDE, which I believe are covered in the exam.

As I said earlier, I am well on my way through the Sybex book and am getting decent marks in all their end of chapter tests, however want to pass with a good mark.

Does the Sybex book cover sufficient info to pass (combined with the CBT Nuggets), or should I postpone my exam and go the MS Press Route?

Certifications: MCSE:Messaging
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Ive not read the sybex book so obviously i cant comment, but I have used the mspress book for all my exams so far and while there have been omissions of information that has cropped up in exams, so far the material has gotten me through.

Although I have gone through help files and internet sources for additional information re a couple of areas.

I guess you could cover your bases, by getting the MSPress book as well.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I personally found the MS press book for this exam for me was more than enough. Best wishes:), and if you can get the MS press book too.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

MS press book worked for me perfectly fine. Have never used Sybex for microsoft certifications. All the best

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I've always understood that the Sybex books are generally well regarded but for me, I like it straight from the horses mouth so I use the MSPress books.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Same here, I have always used MS Press books so cannot comment on Sybex.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. kavanaj

kavanaj Bit Poster

I have both which I used for the 290 and I'm also using the Sybex AND MSPress books for the 291 I'm currently studying! I prefer the way in which the Sybex books get the information accross to you, the MSPress are good and have the information I personally find reading the Sybex book easier. Particularly their explanation of subnetting!! :ohmy

I'm not sure but you may be able to search Google Books for both and try and find a section on both books to use as an example.

I hope this helps and good luck! :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE NT4.0,210,215,290,291 (MCSA2K3),VCP
    WIP: (70-293)MCSE 2003
  8. Nickalicious

Nickalicious Bit Poster

I've personally only used the Sybex books for both the 270 and the 290 and found them very good, easy to read and covering basically everything you need to successfully pass the exams. every time I came across something which I was not confident enough about, I just practiced it for a bit with MS VM or with actual hardware.

However I have not read any of the MS Press books so I cannot comment on those, but from my point of view you should be able to pass an exam with either of them.

Good luck!

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291
  9. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

From my experience, the MS press books have all the information you need, the sybex books are a good compliment to them. I ususally get both and take the sybex books on the bus and the train with me to read, way more easier to carry around!

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks Rop, as you've given me an idea to get the Sybex book for the trains in and on way to work and home. Brilliant:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell