Sybex Press Announces Online Practice Certification Exams With TestSuccess

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by tripwire45, Nov 16, 2007.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Since Sybex is a pretty trustworthy company, I figured it was ok to pass along the press release (or part of it anyway) announcing their new practice exam service (sorry Michael and Josh).
    Of course, you have to pay for the subscription, but they offer mock cert tests of the following exams:
    * CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate (640-802)
    * CompTIA A+ Essentials (220-601)
    * CompTIA A+ IT Technician (220-602)
    * CompTIA Network+ (N10-003)
    * CompTIA Security+ (SY0-101)
    * CompTIA Linux+ (XK0-002)
    * MCTS: Microsoft Windows Vista Configuration (70-620)
    * PHR/SPHR: Professional/Senior Professional in Human Resources
    * PMP: Project Management Professional
    * CISSP: Certified Information System Security Professional

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

They had asked us to write some of them, but at the time, we were either going to keep going full swing with BrainBeacon, or merge our efforts with Boson's. Either way, we were unable to write them due to being their competition.

Besides... to be dead honest, they weren't offering enough. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It'll be interesting to see how this works out. After all (as far as I know), Boson exclusively develops mock certifications exams and Sybex is branching out in this area but their main business if publishing cert books. I can see where they're going with this...they can incorporate this service with the books they publish and develop another income stream related to their main product. It would be interesting to take their exams and see how they stack up.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Actually, we also have a network simulation product and offer live training; we don't "exclusively" develop mock certification exams.

As a Sybex author, it will be interesting to see where Sybex goes with this. Other publishers have done this in the past, and it didn't get very far. Of course, I have a bias here, but I know how hard it is to find qualified (and quality) authors, and based on what they were willing to pay for questions, I'm skeptical about the level of quality that they will have in their products. That being said, I haven't looked at their offering yet; it could very well be a quality product. I'd love to hear what other people say about it.

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Could be worh signing up since I have a few practice exams and can pass them all.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I think this can possibly be a good thing in terms of cert prep mock test. I'd say if the material is quality and the price is right bring it on:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If I were to put as much effort and explanation into writing a question for Sybex as I do for writing a question for Boson... for what Sybex was paying per question, I'd have made as much working at McDonalds... no exaggeration.

I'm not saying that Sybex's questions are definitely of low quality (I haven't seen them)... I'm simply saying that there's no way they can be of the same level of detail as what I create for a practice exam product unless the author likes making minimum wage. The questions that Josh and I wrote in the Vista book aren't anywhere near the same level of detail as we create on a daily basis here, either. Where we gave a one-paragraph explanation for each question there, we give MULTIPLE-paragraph explanations in our ExSim Max products.

Night and day difference, in my opinion. One tests to see whether you know the answer... the other tests you AND explains to you why the right answer is right and the wrong answers are wrong.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!