Sybex book and default share permission

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by dales, Nov 23, 2007.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi all,

Something to note if you have the sybex 70-270 study guide (third edition). I've been intensifying my swotting recently as the exam is looming and have noticed that their appears to be a typo. Pre SP1 the default share permission was everyone full control but that was changed in SP1 onwards to everyone read, the sybex book still says full control even though it states its updated to cover SP2.

It appears on page 368, im sure there are proberbly other small typos but it just caught me off guard and make me question what i thought I knew! :blink

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

You should congratulate yourself for noticing it - shows you've learnt your stuff :biggrin

I had exactly the same in the MS Press book for 70-271 - Driver Signature checker sigverif.exe was written down as segverif.exe - as it was mentioned in a later chapter (and as a side note) I didn't think anything of it.... until 4 words later when my brain kicked in, and I had to go back and double check what they had written - yep, they typed it incorrectly.

Made me doubt what was right/wrong in the rest of the book for 5 seconds, and then I felt better by the virtue that I had noticed the typo was wrong and knew it was wrong and didn't just accept it as being right.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Yes thats it, you know with exams looming there is a brief moment of panic when you think 'if i've got that wrong what else have I learnt incorrectly' :eek:

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

When in doubt you should try it (hands on) and see.

Also, the publishers always create errata sheets showing any errors in the book and the pages they occur on.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Well, at least any reported errors.

It's a good idea, if you find an error in a book to report it to the author/publisher. Normally if you check first--Bluerinse said where to check--you will see if the typo you found has already been reported, and you'll find at the same time any other errors others found that you may have missed.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Unfortunately, if I remember correctly, I believe that's the same error that tripped up our Vista book as well. Didn't catch it when converting the XP 70-270 book to Vista 70-620. :dry

Fortunately, the 70-620 error has already been reported to Sybex, and should be fixed in the next release. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I had a look at the sybex site, but couldnt see anywhere a downloadable list of book errors I suppose I'll have to email them but TBH I have trained for the 270 from about 4 different sources as well as quite a few years of practical so hopefully it wont matter that much.

8. silentjess

silentjess Bit Poster

this is shocking. i'm reading the same sybex 3rd edition book for 70-270.
    omg.
    thank you man, i'm going to take note of it.

the driver signing is rectified - sigverif & the log file.

i've also visited the sybex site, i can't see the links to book errors either. googling doesn't show any either. hmm.
    is there a page on certforums for book errors? i did a search earlier..

Thanks guys~:p

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: MCSA, MCSE
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Well spotted!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Go to the publisher's page for the book (here is 70-270) and click Errata. It'll take you to a list of errors found in the book. If your error is not mentioned, you can submit an Errata Form on that same Web site.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Gavin cass

Gavin cass Bit Poster

Thanks for pointing this out Dales :eek:

I have been reading through my sybex 70-270 and this error crops up on a few pages-

Page- 368

page- 378

page- 382

I am still trying getting my head around NTFS permissions - but as of service pack 2, am i correct in saying that the default for everyone group is read, or read & execute?

NOT full control as stated in the sybex book:blink

Certifications: NVQ computers & Electronics; 70-270
    WIP: MCSE
  12. Starke

Starke Nibble Poster

Certifications: MCSE:Messaging/Security, Net+, Security+
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

As far as i can see no changes were made to NTFS permissions in SP2.. check this..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811113

By default, NTFS perms are inherited from the 'parent folder'. I think maybe your getting confused with *share* permissions?..

Read this very good artilce here..

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Share-Permissions.html

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. Gavin cass

Gavin cass Bit Poster

Thanks Bluerinse for the info.

When i say Default, i mean after the creation of a new folder that is not inheriting permissions from any other "container"

It appears to me that the default is read & execute, along with the information you have provided :)

Certifications: NVQ computers & Electronics; 70-270
    WIP: MCSE