Sybex 271 and 272 Book

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by chrism, Feb 27, 2007.

1. chrism

chrism Bit Poster

I just ordered this book of Amazon (it seemed like a bargain at 2am!)

I've now had a search through this forum and have seen people recommend the book but a lot of people mention service pack 2 as being heavily referred to in the exams - does anyone know if this book covers it or should I try to pick up the MS book also?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ACA
    WIP: Still to be decided!
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Chris,

Personally, I think the best preparation for the MCDST is to use XP Pro and Office '03 as much as you can.

As for the books, Sybex or MS press are usually similiar and stick to the objectives.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. mattyfez

mattyfez Bit Poster

Hi there,

Depends on you current experience but unless your very confident when you finnish the sybex book I would totally recomend picking up the MS press books, the sybex book is good for what it is, but im so glad i also got the MS press books aswell, much more detail for people not currently working with networks and installations on a daily basis.

I got the sybex book first off, and thought, hmmm, not to bad.
    But then I thought, well I'll get the MS press books just so I'm covered...
    Then i was like damn! i need to do some more studying lol

Its well worth getting the MS press books (2nd edition)
    i got some used ones from amazon that were brand new as far as i could see, well there was a scratch on the cover of one but so what, the pages were as new and the CD's still sealed.

I would do the sybex book first so you get an idea of the objectives, and then go on the the MS Press books to refine you skills in your problem areas.

4. chrism

chrism Bit Poster

Thanks Boyce and Mattyfez.

I have a lot of experience with XP Pro and Office 2003 but there are always areas that you don't use that I'm sure will crop up in the exam.

I'll keep working through the Sybex book in conjuction with trying things out on my home network and then go for the MS 2nd edition books on amazon.

Thanks again guys.

5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Bargain yes... but the sybex books for MCDST are VERY VERY short on info.. :rolleyes:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I actually prefered the Sybex book to the MS books. To the part-time (MCDST) students that I teach I actually recommend the sybex book, but then again they get the MS books with the course so they have a choice of what to use. In essence the MS books for the class (includes practices and the MS way of thinking), and the Sybex book to read by themselves as it is shorter and concise.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. chrism

chrism Bit Poster

Ken,

thanks for the repsonse, do you think the Sybex book will cover the topics sufficiently?

I have had a skim through the MS books and there is very little that seems unfamiliar.

I am going to setup a small dedicated network for certification practicing and shall go through all the setup and configuration (to get used to using XP again - I still prefer classic view for control panel and the like). Hopefully this practical "study" and the Sybex book will be enough as I don't want to have to fork out for the MS books also.

8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

When it came to my MCDST exam, all I used was the sybex book and some transcender questions. Then I did the course (after the exams - it was an agreement between my employers and the training provider). Anyway one thing that I'd like to point out for me is that although I only used the Sybex book and transcender I already had several years experience working in IT.

What you're doing is great, setting up a network, practicing and going through all the setup and configuration, etc all of that will help you with the exam.

Good luck

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. chrism

chrism Bit Poster

Ken,

Although I only have around 1 year official support experience in IT I have supported friends,family and even people I still don't know how they got my number in resolving XP problems! lol

It is the "Microsoft way of things" and also the more corporate orientated aspects such as RIS,unattended installs and NTFS/share permissions that I just need to brush up on (although even that is fairly familiar as we did a lot of W2K MCSE courses as part of my college course last year).