SVCHOST.EXEX Application Error

Discussion in 'Software' started by tr4airs, Mar 8, 2009.

1. tr4airs

tr4airs New Member

Having carelessly deleted some files that were clearly more important than I realised, I now get this error message on booting up:

The instruction at "0x7d4caa9b" referenced memory at 0x00000010". The memory could not be "read"

Click OK to terminate
    Click CANCEL to debug

I now have no internet access and a machine that takes ages to boot up - I don't know what else might be wrong. I tried doing a System Restore but received the message that this couldn't be done - have tried two different dates without success.

Help! I'd very much appreciate some assistance on this if anyone has any ideas...

Best regards,
    Nick

2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LITERALLY the first link in a Google search

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Try a system repair.

Boot from your installation CD then igone the first repair option (Console) and goto to second repair option.
    You may need your COA key number ready.

Don't forget to reapply any service packs, also you may have to reload I.E. 7.
    Download the Google version as this will also fix any errors in I.E.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

even without the mighty Google have you tried the system restore in safe mode?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. tr4airs

tr4airs New Member

Brilliant Sparky.... I had tried System Restore but it wouldn't let me do it. Never thought of trying it in Safe Mode... did it and yes, everything is back to normal. Wonderful - thanks so much!

Zebulebu... your response sounded a bit testy - hadn't I thought of Google..? Well actually I had of course and I'd seen that solution plus a number of others that all refer to the problem being with Windows Update. I never felt it was that, so came looking for other solutions - found it!!

Thanks again Sparky..

Nick

6. Sparky

No probs mate, a system restore in safe mode has got me out of jail a few times. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

But that problem WAS with Windows Update. If you'd followed the advice in the link you'd have found that out. Just running a System Restore is like using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut - why not attempt to actually fix the problem, rather than go to all the bother of booting into safe mode, running a system restore, losing any other changes you may have made since the restore point was created and not actually learning anything along the way?

No matter - at least you got the problem sorted.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. Sparky

True, the reason I suggested it was because the user has deleted "some files" which could be virtually anything. At least with the sys restore the user can start over again. 8)