svchost.exe application error

Discussion in 'Software' started by keegan, Dec 17, 2008.

1. keegan

keegan Bit Poster

svchost.exe application error at 0x00401000...that is the message i receive.

Im using a custom built with windows xp professional installed srevice pack 3.

When i click on cancel to debug, my computer just freezes up before it reaches desktop ...when i click on ok to terminate my computer still freezes up. Im trying to get to the desktop just to restore one day before but cant get to the desktop ...this message is appearing when im loggin in to my desktop.

I have tried safe mode, known good configuration, actually all of those F8 options but everytime it comes down to logging in , this message appears and computer just freezes up.

2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Have you tried this ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. keegan

keegan Bit Poster

nice tip..tried that

4. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Thats a great little "trick"..............is it a "secret" or could you let us know how you do that. :D

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

just go to www.letmegooglethatforyou.com :p

6. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

I've got this on a machine at work and it's doing my nut in!!

Also getting faulting application svchost.exe blah blah blah and lost of Generic Host Process Win32 errors.

I have tried everything I can find to fix it but it's still causing me problems.

The pc it's running on is XP Pro SP3 too, which should contain the previous fix for the svchost.exe that was released after SP2.

Think I may just throw the pc out the window and be done with it.............. :twisted:

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  7. keegan

keegan Bit Poster

any tips guys ? Please no smart azz remarks either...

Back to my issue...I tried looking for information on this particular error message and found a lot of useful stuff on the internet but i cant get to the desktop in order to enter those commands. It just freezes after the message comes up , either i choose terminate or cancel , it doesnt matter cause it will just freeze right there and wont let me get to the desktop .

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

have you tried booting to the command line so you don't boot to windows?

Then you could do the commands:)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. keegan

keegan Bit Poster

ive tried that brucelee and have scanned my hard disk and even though it found errors, it did not fix the svchost.exe application error message and still wont let me get to my desktop. Is there any command i should use in the command line that can help this issue without using the desktop ?

10. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

It may not be the same error, but try disabling "Windows Automatic Updates", then go to the Microsoft site and download the latest updates manually. When you're through, you can turn the Automatic Updates back on if you wish, but you may get the same error the next time updates are available. Like I said, it may not be the same error, but what have you got to lose.

11. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Boot from cd and try a "repair"

12. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

How about system restore to a working state? When did error come about? Did you install something recently or made changes? Also might want to try reinstall Windows CD and do a repair job? Uninstall the application that is causing the problem and reinstall again.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  13. keegan

keegan Bit Poster

ok guys...

-- have tried to use restore cd and used repair but all that does is get me to a command prompt. In there i used chkdisk command and restarted and still didnt fix it .

-- Cant get to the internet to manually update window files from microsoft website.

It just freezes at login for any user i use...Admin, my username. When it freezes up the
    error message comes up .

I have dont ctrl + Alt + del and manually typed in restore and i did get system restore to work and went back 2 days cause thats the only duration it gives me and that didnt fix it.

I have automatic updates on off before this problem occured , and i recently took out windows xp service pack 3 cause i read it could be service pack 3 with automatic updates set to on.

-- I have also ran REGCURE to fix my registry but that didnt fix it either !!

Only way im able to run these programs is by task manager because it doesnt allow me to get to my desktop after login.

14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

This is very confusing i know but you haven't got to the repair windows option yet. you have entered the recovery console.

Try again, when prompted to press R to repair windows by using the recovery console say *NO*.

The install routine will then display a list of operating systems it finds on the hard drive. it will then ask you if you want to repair the selected windows installation (press R). so press R when the windows folder is selected.

This will kick off an installation of windows from scratch, installing files (the original files mind you, unless you have a slipstreamed install CD) and will not delete your data and most applications should work, though you may have to re-install a few.

if you get the same problem after doing that, it would seem your hardware/operating system is not happy together, something like older SATA controllers needed drivers to function.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. keegan

keegan Bit Poster

ya i read something like that about not actually getting to the repair section , instead im just going to the repair console. Will try it when i get home. Thank you,

16. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Is it the shift key you hold down to stop all applications from loading when you get into windows?

If so try holding shift see if that allows you to get anywhere

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well, apparently it does the same in safe mode, which doesn't load anything except the basic files needed to load windows :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  18. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

Tips for you. Look for bogus processes that run in background, check msconfig, services and things, do full spybot/spyware scan, run full av scan.

have you got an svchost.exe OR any dodgy looking stuffs in hkcu\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run?
    have you got an svchost.exe OR any dodgy looking stuffs in hklm\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run?

Check temp folders (C:\Documents and Settings\username\local settings\temp), empty it

Check C:\Documents and settings\username\application data, anything dodgy here?

Note that every time that generic host process error comes up, you'll lose network connectivity.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...
  19. keegan

keegan Bit Poster

Whats driving me nuts is that i cant get in to my desktop to go into my registry.Only thing i can work from is my task manager...i go to my command prompt and regedit but its giving me administrator rights not allowed, funny thing is that im logging in as the Admin . I have emptied all temp folders from task manager and again thats the only window i work with. i have done a regedit to clean up my registery but that didnt help.

Only thing left is SPYWARE and AV but dont have them installed ...Anywhere out there where i can get a free scan and fix but without getting on the internet ? im thinking of downloading it on my flash drive and loading it up .

Dont think its a virus or spyware because its SVCHOST not SCVHOST

20. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

It seem like your svchost.exe is infested with a virus so you used an updated security software to remove also the svchost.exe should be only located in four location

c:\windows\system32 - where it is running
    c:\i386 - a backup copy
    C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 another copy
    C:\Windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$ another copy

It should be anywhere else.

anything else failed then

I would try other formula like sfc /scannow

but what would also do is go in to recovery console delete this this in c:\windows\system32and copy from cd or c:\i386 location.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,