SuSE Linux 10 on VMWare

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by nugget, Oct 14, 2005.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Has anyone else tried installing SuSE Linux 10 into VMWare?? Looks great BTW.

Tried this yesterday and it worked just fine except for one little problem when I went to install the vmware tools. It came up with an error message that there was no compatable config for this kernel version and to make one I need to install the gcc and then 'make' my own config. Hmm, sounds like fun.:dry

It was then that I discovered that I can't access the dvd-rom drive to install the gcc compiler because it was blocked by the vmware tools installer. With much cursing I discovered that the dvd drive needed to be set to connect to a physical device (Z:) and not set to auto detect. As soon as I did this I was able to install the gcc compiler.:biggrin

Now onto the compiling of the new config file.:blink

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Nug
    if you go back to where you click 'install vmware tools' it should of then read 'cancel install' which would of re adjusted your cd drives according, it wont auto unmount until the reboot after the tools are installed I believe
    hth :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I usually click past this part. It doesn't seem to affect the install and the Linux VMs run fine.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Phoenix, I tried that many times and no matter how many times I rebooted it didn't unmount the cdrom drive. That's when I had to set the cd drive to a physical drive to clear it.

Trip, it installed ok but that wasn't the problem. The vmware help told me that after running the vmware tools installer it would not show any progress or even a confirmation. Then , and only then after searching through the manual it shows you what you need to do to configure the vmware tools. It was when I did this that it gave me the problems. First it told me that there were no compatible configs for my system and I would need to compile one, so I need to install the gcc compiler.

Lots of hassle later I managed to do this and only then it told me that it need the kernel source code, so again more stuffing around with the same problems until I get that installed. Then I ran the config command again and it seemed to work ok.

Not too bad I think, only 4 hours.:dry

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Guess I'm confused. Can't you just unmount the CD drive by typing:
    Code:
    umount /dev/cdrom
    or whatever the mount point is for your CD rom?

6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

In a word, no. It just didn't want to play nicely.

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

unmounting in linux would unmount the cd from the os, but not from vmware itself, clickng install vmware tools simply mounts a .iso image just as you would mount any CD in vmware
    you need to cancel that to unmount it, or mount something else

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0