Surprise! Tech is a safe career choice today

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Surprise! Tech is a safe career choice today

The once rock-steady tech job has been battered by ferocious waves lately: a dot-com bust, offshoring, outsourcing, H-1B replacements, cost-cutting, and now layoffs resulting from the global economic crisis. Weary tech veterans also lament tough working conditions, citing everything from ridiculously excessive hours to ignorant managers to zero opportunities for advancement. So it's no surprise that very few college-bound teenagers dream of toiling their lives away in a cubicle staring at a computer screen.

Yet, in the current tough U.S. job market, a tech career is actually one of the safest ones to have. Tech is still a good profession with decent pay and relatively solid job security. "The reality is there's still a very healthy job sector in information technology," says Mehran Sahami, an associate professor of computer sciences at Stanford University.

Tech's poor image, though, continues to blind young people from seeing the bright side. Tapping America's Potential, a coalition of businesses working toward doubling the number of students earning bachelor's degrees in science, technology, engineering, and math, also known as STEM areas, reported last summer that it's already falling behind in that goal after only three years.

Read the whole article here.

OK, the article's US based, but we're an international forum :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. dmarsh
      dmarsh
      As usual, read the comments to get the real story...

The salaries quoted also seem rather low for graduate professionals with high levels of commitment and overtime etc.

I actually think that the H1-B visa programme places some fairly strict limits on immigration compared to other countries, but the fact remains IT is not an easy gig and therefore far from a clear fire winner as a career choice for those just starting out...
    2. NightWalker
      NightWalker
      Immigration to the US is a real niche market. I would love to pack my bags and head over the pond.
    3. zebulebu
      zebulebu
      Oh yeah - I can't wait to go to a country that is ridiculed by the rest of the world for its insularity, where you get treated like **** at work every day, are petrified that you might lose your job at any moment, get a massive ten days' vacation time a year and have to pay through the nose for medical care when you suffer the inevitable stress-related heart attack because there's no NHS.

No thanks.
    4. onoski
      onoski
      The grass always looks greener on the other side or so most people think:)