Surface Pro 2

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Sparky, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Just got one through work - liking it so far and seems to be a good business tool in comparison to the iPad.

Anyone else using one? Thinking there will be a demand for these next year.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Yeah I got the 256\8GB version a couple of weeks ago, I got the type 2 keyboard but actually find myself using the Logitech K810 keyboard instead (it's bluetooth and just a nicer keyboard to type on).

I have managed to get BF4 playing on it as well :)

Really impressed with it but I do find myself using the Mini Retina more still (it's easier to read the Kindle app on the Mini than the Surface Pro 2).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Sparky

Cool – a few of my customers are looking to purchase either iPads or Surface next year.

So far we have supplied iPads for sales teams that are using them demo websites (online shops) and also for security companies that access cameras through web interfaces. The iPad has worked so far but I do think surface gives more options for the customer – especially for business use.

Would have liked a network port though! :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  4. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Tada :)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Sparky

£35! Will have to ask Santa for one :)

6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

With high performance 10/100 Mbps network speed.

Well that kinda sucks, 10/100 in this day and age?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. Sparky

Not ideal - was really just needing the network port so I can configure Firewalls etc. out of the box.

8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

9. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hmm I'm considering getting a Surface for its portability - I do have a laptop, sure, but I want a portable device that's going to fit in to my leather satchel that I can still use a full keyboard on - and I'm not rich enough yet for a hybrid laptop.

Is it worth hanging on for the Surface 2 and waiting for the price to also creep down a little?

Or any similar alternatives? The main requirement, apart from light and portable, is Office (Skydrive will do to be fair) and a proper keyboard.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  10. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I got myself and my team the Acer Iconia W700; Core i5, 4GB ram, 64GB HDD and a USB3 external HDD - however we did upgrade them from Win 8 (not the RT version) to Windows 8.1 Enterprise. Cheaper than the Microsoft Surface Pro's 2.

However speaking to a lot of the vendors, they will be releasing their own versions of the Surface and the Iconia's early next year (a couple of them willl be showing the new models at the BETT show in January)...

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I've had the Pro 1 (256/4GB) for about 6 months now, and it has pretty much replaced my very powerful and "heavy" Dell M4700 as the computer I take to customers. I run quite a lot of labs on the Dell (as it has 32GB RAM), but the weight and size doesn't make it very practical in meetings. The screen resolution whilst the same as the Pro, is however bigger (at 15.6" if I recall) thus making general work on it a little easier on the eyes.

I've gotten used to the Type keyboard, so don't particularly need a third party one for the Pro, but if I need to do more writing, I do prefer to go for the Dell at home.

Having said that, I'd love to get the 256/8GB model Pro 2 (if I could find one in the stores... it's always sold out) for the improved battery life and additional RAM which should help me run a few extra VM's on the road (thank you for Hyper-V in W8.x :) ).

I've also been eyeing the Dell Venue 8 which seems like an even more portable x85 W8.x tablet, and may try to get one from the US during my trip in January.

And for those who are wondering about the docking station for the Pro 1/2, I've seen it, played with it, and it's actually quite nice and well executed. A few extra USB ports wouldn't go amiss, but it's pretty much got everything you need to dock the Pro at home or work with minimal fuss (but there's also some other very nice docking stations, vertical ones from I think Lenovo and the like, which also work very well and may come with a more attractive price).

Overall, very happy with my Pro. I scrapped the W8 Pro installation and went with W8.1 Enterprise using a clean install. There's a little procedure for that if anyone is interested.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM