Surely I and maybe others have missed a step?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Mecha, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Mecha

Mecha Bit Poster

So upon good word from a member on the board, it seems my current exposure to Windows Server 2003 is ample enough for me to begin my MCSA (I actually already have, but just needed confirmation)

Anyways, I remember the begining of the book states that for task one you need two DC's; which is cool (exam 70-290). I did a bit of remembering and googling to get them up and running. But I am sure either I or MS have missed a step here. Are there no books or exams detailing the setup for Server 2003?

As I am doing my MCDST for XP and Vista this month, the first stage basically runs you through how to set up and install XP/Vista. Now luckily I am OK with doing a build of Server 2003 as I have done a few in my current job, but they were built using help from my peers. Surely MS have brough out a book detailing each and every step of the road to building a Server 2003 box?

Or am I missing something?!

Cheers!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
    Certifications: BSc Networking, A+ (601)
    WIP: MSc InfoSec, S+, CISMP, IA ISO27001
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would think most 70-290 study guides would have that sort of info... if not, I'm sure you can find it on the Web.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Umm I thought that they did, my 290 book is in the offiice so I will have a look when I get it.

Edit:

No they dont but MS frequently dont give you everthing because this should reflect your experiance not what you are learning.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. Mecha

Mecha Bit Poster

Well according to MS, the exam is called Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 environment, rather than Building and Implmenting a Sever 2003 Environment. I presume MS think you are literally jumping into an existing environment, rather than building the environment yourself. Something like that seems as if it will be on a MCSE exam.

That's the only thing that worried me when I started the book, goggle did help. But I am not an engineer of 2k3, I just simply work with a current implementation of it. But as Boson said, the internets should have some good tutorials, but again, surely MS must have release an exam or even a book based on it?

5. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Check out this post, this website showing install and configuration of server 2K3, this shows some great basic steps and really simplifes the theory, and is also setout in a collection of well organised labs.
    http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread35964.html

Hope this helps :D
    Craig

6. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  7. Mecha

Mecha Bit Poster

Ha!

No way in hell could I have missed WHOLE chapter! I might have the 1st edition, as GingerDave doesn't have it either...ummmmm

8. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

So it is _ may not have looked at the detailed contents. Sorrry. :oops:

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. Mecha

Mecha Bit Poster

lol yes, I have now seen it!

It's not in FULL detail but I guess it's at least a start :)

Now to find my blinking Server 2003 CD's :(