Support Roles

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by darrenwis, Feb 23, 2009.

1. darrenwis

darrenwis Bit Poster

Hi all,

Some I.T. professionals are predicting that support roles are going to be a dying trend in the next few years.

I am about to start the A+ and then follow it with N+ and MCDST.

What do everyone predict for the support industry in the next few years?

Darren

Certifications: BSc (hons)
    WIP: A+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Same as it ever was. There will always be a need for someone to fix computers.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Where there's users, there's user error, so a need for user support:p

Good luck with the A+

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I wouldn't just eat my hat, I'd also eat my coat, scarf and gloves if IT support becomes a dead trade.

Users will always need supporting. Where they get the support from (in house or outsourced) may be a bone of contention. But the role will always be there.

Of course, if I'm wrong, I could always get a job in a circus, doing a show where I eat random articles of clothing. So there's scope for me there :biggrin

Good luck with the studies :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If IT support was going to die then I would say the whole computer industry must be going to die too.

Like what was said above there will always be need for somone to fix a computer issue and wherever there are users there are users causing errors.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

No, the IT field isn't going to die off. The IT field is going to evolve, just like every other professional field. While using the PC will get even easier, it'll get more technical... Just like electrical, plumbing, etc... There are alot of DIY books & courses around, but just look at how many plumbers & electricians there are. The same thing goes for nurses & GP's... Just because you can do a First Aid course (eg a user/power user), doesn't mean that you qualified to operate (eg technician, systems engineer to design & implement small to large networks) :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. darrenwis

darrenwis Bit Poster

Alot of positive talk here which is good.

Its giving me more and more of a reason to get studying!

Darren

Certifications: BSc (hons)
    WIP: A+