support jobs

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by 808, Feb 6, 2006.

1. 808

808 Nibble Poster

I am currently looking for another computer related job but I am a little confused about support jobs.What is the difference between 1st, 2nd, 3rd Line Support.Can someone describe what the average entry level support job is like.

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: A+,N+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi 808,

Here's the Microsoft Description of the different levels of support:

Tier 1/Level 1, Helpdesk (Support level): Supports day-to-day client O/S, applications and hardware troubleshooting. Follows prescriptive guidelines and provides end user phone support.

Tier 2/Level 2, administrator (Operational level): Provides day-to-day server and software troubleshooting. Performs O/S management and support.

Tier 3/Level 3, engineer (Tactical level): Analyzes and designs with a single technology and implements the technology. Handles complex troubleshooting, including escalations from administrators.

Tier 4/Level 4, architect (Strategic level): Analyzes and designs enterprises.

This is actually the text from the MCDST course 2261, so straight from MS's mouth.

From what I can remember, as my currently role goes from level 1-3, level 1 is normally clock-in, clock out and you're either on helpdesk answers calls, logging calls, dealing with basic hardware/software issues. Or you'd be in the workshop repairing PC's. Next level (2) you'd be either a systems admin dealing with harder problems, dealing with servers or you'd be a field technician/engineer.

Sorry if this is a bit fuzzy, but after working a 13 hour day, I'm tired, hopefully someone that makes more sense with come along.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Nice explanation Ken.

The problem is though that, as Ken says many roles span across the different levels, but usually if you're just starting out you wont be expected to do much more than Level One. It's when you move upwards that you are expected to be backwards compatible (excuse the completely intended pun).

8)

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

True, true... :biggrin

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Where I work until very recently it went like this:

helpdesk- answer the phone, check call logging queue and assign calls to relevant teams and feed back to users. Almost no actual support involved just customer service. They would reset passwords and unlock accounts as well.

1st line- do the majority of the lower level calls, machine builds, anything 1st line can't handle gets escalated up to 2nd line.

2nd line- high level desktop issues escalated from 1st line, some project work and low level server work. Any issues 2nd line can't handle get escalated to 3rd line.

3rd line- 'back end' server and network 'DRI's- stands for 'Designated Responsible Individual' These poor buggers are the ones that have to pull all nighters when their server goes bang and they have to do whatever it takes to get it back up and running again. A lot of the time is spent monitoring systems and granting/denying access to network resources. Highest level of support but no real decision making responsibilities when it comes to IT strategy or design.

That's how it is where I am now except that recently the helpdesk and 1st line teams merged into one which is much better because the entry level helpdesk guys are now getting their hands dirty and the 1st line team who are generally very busy are now twice the size.

Only the larger organisations will have this kind of structure though.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  6. 808

808 Nibble Poster

so someone with 12 months experience in computer repair and diagnosis should be at the level of 1st line support.

7. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Definitely, however to get in there you might have to go for a 'helpdesk job' and show the 1st liners a thing or 2 and get promoted :p

8. 808

808 Nibble Poster

Would it matter in your opinion that i dont have call centre experience alongside my computer skills.
    Looking on the jobcentre website it seems that they are more interested in the customer service side of things more than the technical side.

9. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

In your 12 months experience have you dealt directly with the people you're doing the job for?

Whether it's on the phone or in person you'll be able to put the words 'client facing' on your CV. What they really want is people who can:

Stay calm and focus on the job when the client is freaking out about losing x amount of money per minute while the system is down and breathing down your neck asking how much longer it'll take .

communicate to them in words they can understand rather than 'technobabble'

If you've dealt with 'the client' directly you can do it over the phone, in person or even remote control their PC and use a chat window.

client + facing are the buzzwords for the CV

10. 808

808 Nibble Poster

A job i had a while ago involved dealing with managers and customers face to face so this may be ok but a lot of jobs in the jobcentre specifically say call centre experience required,do you think i should still go for them.i dont really deal with other people at the place I am at now as it is just repair and diagnosis of faults.

11. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Don't just rely on your jobcentre look here as well:

http://www.jobserve.com

and here:

http://www.cwjobs.co.uk

There are others but these 2 are quite major. Search on your area and the skills you have and the job you want to do. There is a boom in the market right now and your skills are in demand.

That's enough to promote client facing/customer focus, which is as good as if not better that calle centre experience that could've been gained from telesales.

If you have strong technical skills and can deal with Joe public there will be a job for you and promising career to boot!

12. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

I would also register at www.jobsite.co.uk, i've found it to be the best for me, i got cold-calls practically daily from agents coming across my CV on jobsite.

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  13. 808

808 Nibble Poster

Thank you for your help.I have checked out the other jobsites such as monster but they all seem to target people with more certs and experience.I have heard today though that i have got a job working for an electronics company so I may not need to look anymore :D :D :D

14. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

well done

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE