Superscopes

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by zimbo, Aug 12, 2006.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Im trying to get my head around how this works and a little stick but a little doesnt. This is what im thinking:

I have a DHCP server that gives for example 192.168.1.200 - 192.168.1.254 . All on the same subnet lets say 255.255.255.0 and all part of the same domain.

Now i get another 200 clients for example that all need DHCP address as we are expanding the company. So i create a new scope 192.168.2.1 - 192.168.2.254
    Then put both scopes into a superscope.

So is this how superscope would work? i know you need the router - could someone help with the role of the router? i tried implementing the above example on vmware (smaller ranges) but it doesnt work so i assume this router has the big role.

So big help needed here... i have read technet and also a article on cramsession but still hazzy...:blink

Edit: superscope works! :biggrin and it gets an IP from the 2nd scope (part of the superscope) so the router is needed to enable a client on 192.168.2.1 to be able to ping on 192.168.1.1?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Think about it this way:

You have two different subnets. These subnets need to know how to communicate with each other, so you need to route between them.

The DHCP Superscope part of this is irrelevant to the routing issue - until you have a way for the two subnets to 'talk' to each other, addresses won't be assigned from the new subnet range.

Once you've configured your routing with DHCP Relay, the DHCP process will be seamless, as requests from a different subnet will be relayed to the 'original' subnet via the DHCP Relay Agent.

HTH!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Casablanca

Casablanca Nibble Poster

yes a router is needed.you will also need a dhcp relay agent installed somewhere to get the clients to request their ip.
    didnt see the above reply sorry.

great explanation zebulebu

Certifications: N+ MCP 210 215 216
    WIP: MCP 218
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

so until implement a RRAS server i wont be able to see my true results?

so for now i should just understand that its used for centralized management of 2 IP ranges on different subnets that are connected via a router?

5. Casablanca

Casablanca Nibble Poster

yes, you do need to implement a router of some sort to really see the benefits of superscopes.

Certifications: N+ MCP 210 215 216
    WIP: MCP 218
  6. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Well, look at it this way, Zimbo. If you create two scopes, 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.2.0/24, and try to place them on the same physical subnet with a default gateway of 192.168.1.x the computers with IP addresses in the 192.168.2.0/24 are going to be mighty confused when looking for the gateway as their IP address and subnet mask combination tells them that the 192.168.1.x gateway is not on their subnet. They will be looking for a route(gateway) to the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet. So, yes, a router between the two scopes is a must.

To prove this change one of your computers in your lab to an IP address and subnet mask not contained in your lab's subnet, while still giving that computer the same default gateway as the rest of your lab, and see what happens. That's basically what happens with using superscopes on the same physical subnet.

Basically, superscopes were made so that you can use one DHCP server to give out IP addresses to several subnets separated by routers.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Thanks everyone totally got it now and now how to implement one too.. so thats all done now! :biggrin

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hmmm, I am not sure this acurately sums it up Freddy because you can do what you have described without configuring a superscope.

I would say that by configuring a superscope, you are able to centrally manage a group of scopes for example, you can set scope options which will globally affect all scopes in the superscope.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. ffreeloader

Yeah, that's a much better wording than I used. We both meant the same, but you said it much better.

10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Thanks guys... also found a nice summary on technet... just wish ms would base their books on technet!:biggrin

click here

11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Ah - you've discovered Microsoft's hidden secret - they charge £50 for books whose information content doesn't amount to a hill of beans compared to the information availbale for bupkiss on Technet!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well in that case I will stick a feather in my cap. It's not every day that I word something better than the word king himself :D

13. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

oh dont worry after this 291 exam - this is the last ms press book im using for ms exams... :(

14. ffreeloader

*** spits mouthful of water onto keyboard laughing at ffreeloader being "the word king himself". ***

LOL. You have one heck of a sense of humor, Bluerinse.

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

hehe I'm not sure many people appreciate my sense of humor Freddy, my attempts at subtle jest often fail dismally here in Australia. I think they, the Aussies, need a punchline before they realise someones joshing :wink: