Sun Java Certifications

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by chrism, Oct 6, 2007.

1. chrism

chrism Bit Poster

I am looking into taking one of the Sun programming certifications - either SCJA or SCJP and was hoping someone here could provide some insight into the differences between the two.

I am still learning Java and get the impression that the SCJA might be a bit of a "waste" so I might wait until I have enough knowledge to sit the SCJP (either way I'm just looking for some feedback on them so I can buy some appropriate books to target my learning towards the correct exam).

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ACA
    WIP: Still to be decided!
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

My normal view is that 'starter' certs are not a waste - they are the foundations to be built on. As you admit that you are learning Java (although, in truth, we never stop learning) I would have thought that SCJA would be a good place to start.

Having said that, my current $employer is heavily into Java. I suggested that it would be good for me to get some certs. This was met with a shug along the lines of "You can either write Java or not. We'll keep you if you can."

I suspect this was because they might be expected to pay for the exams though! :ohmy

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well its upto you but once you get the SCJP the SCJA will be pretty useless, the sun exams are also pretty expensive at £150 a pop.

I reccomend taking the SCJP and maybe the SCWCD exams, the SCJA was introduced largely for non programmers who wanna pretend they know Java IMHO.

Stick to the SCJP and you won't go far wrong, get a good book work through it then take the exam when you are ready. The JavaRanch is a good site for Java certification.

Harry is right in that some managers don't see the value, however the SCJP is probably one of the most requested programmer certs in my opinion.

Best of luck with your studies ! :biggrin

4. chrism

chrism Bit Poster

Thanks for the comments guys. I can see that employers just want to know that you know the job, I'm hoping that by the time I've completed my degree and got the cert that will get me in the door - and then knowing my job will keep me there! :-D

dmarsh26- that was the impression I got, SCJA didn't seem to be pitched at people who were actually going to be programming in Java and as both exams are the same price (which seems grossly inflated compared to the prices in the States) I think I'll aim for the SCJP. It seems to require the level of knowledge that would probably be expected for a Java developer's job anyway. It's nice to see that it is often requested for jobs too!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ACA
    WIP: Still to be decided!