Successfully landed my first support role :D

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Alex399, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

I haven't been on much recentley as I used a work laptop which was taken from me when I lost my Job as a recruitment consultant but I count myself very lucky that I was only ever not earning money for 1 day.

I got paid time in Lieu for one week then I was working after a day after my paid salary in Lieu coming to an end.

I do support for wireless data services, mobile wireless data services more specifically and its purely email support which feels like a nice relaxing way to start in support 8)

Its a bit off par to what I was hoping for but hey I'm providing support in a technical enviroment.

I found myself being interviewed on the same day as being notified of the job and the other interview they had booked for the next day was cancelled as I they offered me to start the next day within hours of interviewing me :biggrin

Its a hell of alot to take in at first but I find myself to be getting in the flow of things.

To be alot more specific I deal with synchronisation issues with social networking applications.

To summarize I feel so blessed to have got into a techical support role which seems to be the perfect stepping stone into IT support :biggrin , my job title= technical support role

I'm still yet to buy a laptop and I'm using my work computer because my teamleader isn't it this morning and I have been using the internet on my phone but I haven't disappeared Ive just been stripped of a laptop and now looking for a cheap one but preferably not to slow either :D

Give me a shout if you know of someone selling one cheap of if you are perhaps ;)

Love to you all 8)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
    WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Congrats on getting your foot in the door, onwards and upwards

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Congratulations mate.

I'm about to start a new job, but my employer (who I leave TODAY!) is trying to convince me to stay, sadly his offers are quite an insult so won't be staying, regardless of how comfortable my current role is.

Welcome to the world of IT mate, hardest part is over. Now just get as much experience in as many products as you can.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

My eyes suddenly light up when I read this part :cheers :clap

Wish you the best of luck in your new role western, is the salary going to be alot better at your new employer or is it a better role for you in general?

5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congrats on the job, mate:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. westernkings

My Current role is REALLY comfortable, and by that, I mean:

Imagine being able to do basically any hours you choose within reason, with no one on your back and still get paid every month, with a good pension, but not amazing pay, given that I am about to start outlaying more on rent as I'm going to be living on my own in the next 2 or 3 months. But It's a non progressive role, no where to really go to, nothing really changes.

The role i'm going into, is working 100% on servers for big clients, no desktops or toners, so a lot of learning to be done. 30% more wage at starting, exams paid for, pay rises when exams are passed, a fantastic company for employees from what I've heard, chances to progress and what not, but not an easy comfortable job, very much going to be a boss on your back a bit I think.

My employer is offering 9% pay rise in September plus my exams paid for, but still it's exactly the same job as I have been doing, my manager gets paid twice my wage, and he does nothing, I mean nothing, he fixes the things he breaks by ****ing around unnecessarily, I do most of the IT department management, so it is a little bit of an insult.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  7. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Well done :D

You gonna do any certs that you think will help with job? Not right away but once you settled in.

Certifications: A few.
  8. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the job! :D

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  9. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

It sounds like it could be a bit tough at first, but I'm sure you will eventually find it refreshing to be stretched mentally, to want to stay in a job because its easy will show that you don't want to progress and you like the stress free part of the job perhaps and by what you've said it will be financially rewarding as well.

Hope it works out for you anyhow and don't let the stress get to you at first, there is light at the end of the tunnel... :biggrin especially in management side of things if thats to your taste.

The extra money you will be earning will be making up for the extra stress of the job surely... or something along those lines :p

I am studying for the Comptia A+ at the moment and hoping to book exams soon, not studying at the pace as I would like to but I need to get a study plan nailed in as I'm simply not getting enough revision time in.

Thanks for the congrats guys 8)

10. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well done fella!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

My advice to people regarding wages has always been this: don't worry about what everybody else is making. If you're being paid a fair wage for what you do, then who cares what everybody else is getting?

Further, if you're not overworked because everybody else isn't pulling their weight, then who cares what everybody else is doing? If they were truly "doing nothing", then wouldn't HIS supervisors see that? Whether you notice it or not, he likely does far more than you even realize... perhaps not on the IT side, but rather on the personnel and management and financial side.

And to top it off, you have the stones to complain about a 9% pay rise when other people are dealing with wage freezes, pay cuts, and loss of employment? :blink

Count your blessings, WK. Things could change in a heartbeat.

I wish you well in your new position.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

To be fair, hes only complaining about the 9% payrise since its an attempt to stop him moving to another job (which have offered a 30% payrise).

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  13. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Congrats mate

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  14. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Sounds good mate, better role and 30% extra. Live the dream.

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  15. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Sounds almost identical to my current situation.

Sound almost identical to what I'm looking for.....

creepy.

and Congrats Alex! Best of luck for the future.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  16. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Well done Alex!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I understand that... but he said it's "an insult" that he's ONLY being offered 9% more and that his manager makes twice as much as him. How is that insulting? If he's being paid a fair wage for the position, there's no reason to complain.

Now, wanting to make more money is fine... wanting a position with more responsibilities is fine... wanting to work with people who actually WORK instead of puttering around the office is fine. I have no arguments against any of that. In fact, I changed jobs three times my first year in IT, which doubled my salary, so I understand his taking the new position - I probably would have too. My point is that there's no reason to feel insulted over being offered an incentive to stay. He ought to feel flattered that they liked him enough to TRY to work something out. If he wasn't good, they'd just tell him, "See ya! Don't let the door hit ya in the butt on the way out!"

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

If you don't look at what others are getting, then how do you know what's fair?

Congrats on the job Alex!

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  19. westernkings

There are only 2 people in my area. Me and My manager, we share a office, so I know exactly what he is doing, as it is frequently me who has to push him into doing work, as he would rather sit there knocking the exchange server off-line by upgrading for no reason at all. His superiors have noted it but are unable to really do anything. Finances is managed by someone else, administration is non existent, I know because I have spent the last week doing as much of it as I can cram in, and over the months I've been here, I've organised most of the tasks that should be a standard thing such as disposal, recycling, supplier contracts and so on, I manage purchases of equipment and most things, he on the other hand, sits there looking at what he can mess around. He basically does just what he wants to do.

Now to ask me to stay is nice, to ask me to stay whilst carrying on doing my managers duties for the most part, for only a couple of nights out a month extra, whilst taking on extra stuff such as monitoring the external support firms we use, being web designer and doing the designing for News letters, Badges and whatever else, despite me giving them a previous member of staffs job description that matched what I do, who was on 10K more than me, is kind of sad. I wasn't even asking for 10K, I was asking for half way between what I'm on, and what I'm going to.

20. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Fair point.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present