Subnetting . . . . Simple when you know how!!

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Coupe2T, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I've been battling with Subnetting for a while now, just couldn't quite get my head around it.

Finally though the penny has dropped, and I have to say that now it has, how simple is subnetting? Gone from not being able to work it out at all to being able to do most in my head without any writing down etc!

Bring on the N+

Only areas to really brush up on now I think is cabling types/lengths etc as they always catch me out, double check my ports and brush up a little on the different routing protocols then more or less ready to have a go at the exam I think.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  2. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Nice Coupe2T. Gotta love it when information which looks completely foreign suddenly just 'clicks'.

Have you booked the N+ yet?

8)

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  3. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

No not yet mate, Will be in the new year some time I expect. Got a newborn at home and only just bought the new house so lots going on at the moment, don't want to put any more pressure on myself just yet by giving myself a deadline for it! lol.

Reckon Mid Jan probably, Early Feb at latest.

4. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Well, sounds like you are going to have a busy few months.

At least doing N+ next year you have a good starting point for the 2012 goals. 8)

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  5. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Yep, going to follow it up with the CCNA, hopefully get that done by middle of the year latest. That's the plan at least.

Then I might do another couple of CCNA certs (Voice and security maybe?) then would like to move on to start thinking about CCNP. That should keep me busy over the next couple of years! lol.

I may also try and squeeze the odd Microsoft cert in the middle somewhere too. Funds/Time allowing! :)

6. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

Just started my Network+ book last night so I've got the subnetting still to come. I'm looking forward to it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but is the Network+ exam is more expensive than the A+ (granted A+ is 2 exams). I'm going to make sure I'm completely ready.

How long did it take you to plough through the Network+?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...
  7. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

N+ exam is £170 or so I think.

I've been looking at doing it for well over a year now, sort of dropped in and out of it as wife got pregnant etc, so been sorting out more crucial stuff like buying a house etc. Now we have done that though and baby has arrived I can get back to it.

In terms of hours I would say probably no more than 25-30 hours studying though, and I was getting about 70% in my practice exams before the Subnetting thing clicked.

So hopefully not far off now being able to get through it fairly safely. :)