Subnetting for CCNA

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by BraderzTheDog, Apr 9, 2012.

1. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Hey CF.

I've been studying for the CCENT ICND1 and with an exam date now set for 2 weeks from now and most of the content covered, sub-netting is something that is still an issue for me. I have been looking at the CBT nuggets videos and although the are in depth, I don't think the 3 videos has given me it all...

Anyone know a good place to learn?

Regards,
    Brad.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online

I found that website extremely useful for getting my speed up, once I'd found a method that worked for me.

I find out the block size first. Once I have the block size then I just have to follow the same steps every time.
    A bit like the old software adage:
    Question 1: A kettle is hanging on a hook in the kitchen.Write down step by step instructions for making a cup of tea.
    1. Take kettle off hook
    2. Put kettle in sink
    3. etc etc

Question 2: This time the kettle is in the sink, write down the steps for making a cup of tea.
    1. Put kettle on hook
    2. Follow answer to question 1

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

What part of Subnetting do you still feel you have problems with?

I used the following couple of sites to practice on until I felt everything had clicked, once it did I knew almost immediately and have been pretty comfortable with subnetting since (Although currently looking at VLSM, which you will come across in the ICND2 and that's baking my noodle a bit again at the moment! lol).

IP Subnet Practice

Subnetting Quiz #1

Between those 2 sites I managed to understand Subnetting from 2 sides, one giving the broadcast and range of useful addresses etc and 2, being able to tell how many hosts would be available etc. The first site I probably spent more time on and helped me the most, but we all learn differently so may not be the same for you.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  4. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Thank you very much,

I'm gonna be hammering this out as I believe Cisco exams ensure you know you stuff when it comes to subnetting.

I can follow class C pretty easy at the moment however on the CBT nuggets videos I seem to get lost when working with class A, Its hard to know where to stop if you get me?

Anyway thanks very much ill deffo check both out :)

Regards,
    Brad.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  5. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

If ya get stuck with anything in particular then feel free to drop me a message, I'll help you out if I can. I've only recently been through it all myself so I know how you feel. :)

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  6. Doghouse

Doghouse New Member

I am taking a CCNA course currently. I am due to take my first CCNA exam in a few months. Subnetting is really confusing to me. Of a general IP address (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/yy) I can find the subnet, the # of hosts, the # of addresses and even the block #. However, I am unable to take this information and employ it to discern the ip addresses (last, firs, broadcast, etc.) and how to arrive at same. By writing it out in binary I can sometimes locate the network IP, but not all the time. Short of writing out the actual address (xxx.xxx.xxx.a-d, xxx.xxx.xxx.e-i, xxx.xxx.xxx.j-m, etc.) how does one take the block number and calculate them, especially when i get numbers of 4096 and such. It gets really confusing when these address, span multiple octets.

Any suggestions?

7. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

Hi Doghouse, do you have an example of a particular subnetting question you are having trouble with? If you do, post it here and we can help you.

Certifications: F5 CTS, LTM | F5-CA | CCNA: Sec | CCNA: R&S | ITIL Foundation
    WIP: AWS Solutions Architect