Stupid question time?

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by philbenson, Jul 30, 2006.

1. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Just been reading through Sparkys thread about domain functional levels. I'm currently putting together some training material about upgrading from NT4 to Server 2003.

So Win 2k mixed is the default DFL which supports all three generations. Then we have 2003 interim which supports 2003 and NT4 only.

So if I've got an NT4 network which I want to upgrade to 2003, why should I want to 'raise' the DFL to 2003 interim if by default I'm working at 2000 mixed which supports NT4 servers as is. I would then have to raise the DFL again once the last BDC on my network has been upgraded.

Surely it would be easier to leave the DFL at 2000 mixed and then raise DFL to 2003 once all servers are upgraded. This can't be te case otherwise 2003 Interim wouldn't exist.

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Not really a stupid question at all, infact its a very good question.

The only definitive answer that I have been able to find is here, where it says that:
    Other sites simply say that it offers no additional benefits over other modes, except that if you chooses this mode you have no option to run Windows 2000 DC's, only 2003 or NT4 ones.

8)

3. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Thanks Simon. I was just wondered in case I had overlooked some details which made the answer obvious. In that case, I'll simply mention about 2003 interim mode but leave out any recommendation to actually use it.

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs