Stupid MS: Outlook 2007

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fergal1982, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I recently upgraded to Office 2007, and I have to say that a few things annoy the hell out of me.

Firstly, OL2003 allowed you to use MS Word as your email editor. Perfect for me since I have a macro that applies pinyin accents for chinese. In 2007, it uses a separate editor (and wont allow you to use word). So you have to modify the macro, and it doesnt seem to like the keyboard shortcuts for them.

But the main annoyance with it, is notifications. When a mail arrives, it displays the popup, the sound, and the mail received icon in the systray right? All gravy... until you apply a rule that moves emails to another folder. Then (by design apparently) it doesnt. How bloody stupid and shortsighted is that? Just because I want my CF emails in another folder, doesnt mean i dont want to know they arrived does it? morons!

So now, I've had to create a rule that plays the sound, and shows the notification whenever the emails arrive, and run this before the other rules fire. Downright stupidity.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. DevilsAdvocate

DevilsAdvocate Bit Poster

I never liked OL2007. It always felt so slow and sluggish compared to 2003.

Rob.

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE, Server+
  3. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

and don't get me started od Access 2007 :)

what happened to easy access to tables, queries etc??

I've noticed that people that are used to olnder versions of office are far from lovin Office 2007.
    but it sure works for less experienced users.

both of them...

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  4. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

I think this is due to the fact that the sounds and warnings are connected to 'mails recieved in the in-box'. The rules to move an incoming mail run just a bit earlier. This speeds things up. A message is not stored first, then screened if they stick to certain rules and after that moved.
    I agree that the warning should work on all messages, not only the ones in the inbox.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  5. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

:oops: I like Office 2007 (Excel/Access/Outlook)

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  6. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Yes, 07 is a lot different than 03, and it also runs a bit slower, but I haven't had any issues with my rules not working.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Me too. That makes the both users you and me.:cheers

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. Fergal1982

The problem isnt the rules not working, its that the rules override the basic notification processes, so you dont get the notification sound/popup/systray icon.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  9. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Not sure if it works for 2007, but I would have thought so
    Linky

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  10. Fergal1982

yeah it works, thats what i meant by needing to use a rule for it. its unfortunate that the rule cant also apply the systray icon though.

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It does seem to take a while to start up and begin downloading e-mails.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

So, much like XP, was a fine OS and Vista really doesnt give you much more except a few headaches, it seems Office 2007 is in the same category. Do we really need it, one wonders?

What are the *benefits* of Office 2007?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It hides all the buttons that I'm used to seeing, or moves them to different locations. :thumbleft

Oh, wait... that might not be a benefit... er... hm.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

LOL, i think shuffeling icons and menus around *is* Microsoft's method of re-marketing the same old product.

I have to confess, apart from using Outlook and Exchange more over the last few years, i dont do any more in Word, Excel, Publisher et al, than i did in Office 95 :biggrin

15. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

This is off-topic, but I wonder what would happen around here if I captioned a topic like this: Stupid MS.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  16. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Office 2007 is the first product I haven’t had to sell at work, people actually want it. Yes I was shocked as well! :biggrin

Miles better than Office 2003 IMO. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ok Sparky, i believe you but can you please tell us 'why' you think it's miles better?

18. Sparky

The interface.

Also I get £££ for “Office upgrade” projects. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ah, gotta love the vested interest :twisted:

20. Sparky

It pays the bills..... 8)