Studying with a mac

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Eddie23, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Eddie23

Eddie23 New Member

Hi there,

Im in abit of a dilema! I was looking to make a switch to mac because of music production (the software I want to use is only compatible with macs) but I also want to study comptia A+ and then make the steps towards getting an MCSE. I know that macs can run windows via bootcamp but does anybody know If I'll be limited in any way. Help would be greatly appriciated.

WIP: Comptia
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Well as long as you're keeping abreast with current market technology for the A+ and MCSE you should be fine. It sounds like it just boils down to preference at the moment as you're into your music etc.

Best wishes either way:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Mac knowledge is worth having even if you are pursuing a Microsoft route. The more strings to your bow the better.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Dont forget you can get VMware fusion for the mac and setup virtual machines, ive got it and never had any problems

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  5. Eddie23

Eddie23 New Member

Thanks for the quick responses! I think I'll go mac initially, but I'll probably build a cheap pc for the living room to go with it.

Thanks!

6. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Just out of curiosity what is it for, Logic?

Most music programs are mac or windows. Don't listen to the you must have a mac to have a decent DAW brigade. I never did.

I have a separate partition on my pc with xp installed on it for music production only.

No antivirus, firewall, connection to the internet. I have disabled the network adapters. I am amazed at the performance. I use Live and reason and I have yet to max out the cpu.

If you have windows compatible programs a separate partition may be worth considering and may save you a few quid (to buy some sexy controller perhaps)

Just a thought.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  7. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I run with VMware Fusion, i think it is all of £60 and is one of best programs I own on the mac. The only way you might be held back is that most of the exam testing software, certainly the stuff in the MS press books, Transcender and CramMaster are all windows based.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  8. hailstorm

hailstorm Bit Poster

To answer your question, no you won't be limited in any way. Macs run Windows just the same as it would on a PC. You can install to a separate partition using Boot Camp or, as others have suggested, in a virtual machine using Parallels or VMware Fusion.

Certifications: ACTC, ACSP, MCP, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: ACSA
  9. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi

I've been using a Mac for a while now, and alongside Vmware, you shouldn't have any issues with studying with it. Windows running in VMWare, full screen with spaces enabled, so it has it's own space, with active corners enabled, works really well. I tend to run Server in one space, XP in another, and have my notes in a third.

Also, when you need to practice RAID, you can add additional hard drives to a virtual machine, and configure them as you need. You won't get the performance gains that you would from physical hardware, for RAID 0 and RAID 5, but you can practice setting up RAID, deleting a disk, recovering data etc.

Enjoy the Mac

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  10. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I'd echo the responses about VMWare or Parallels. However, you will not be limited if you run Bootcamp. You'll have the same experience as you would if you were running Windows on any other laptop. Well, except for the fact that the hardware will look a lot better. :biggrin

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...and cost more. :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

I use a mac with no problems.

I've got tiny XP setup on a 10GB partition with bootcamp and i then use the windows version of VMware because it does teaming which is usefull for setting up your own virtual network.

All my virtual machines are stored on a USB portable hard drive so that I can use them in my lunch at work to get some practice on as my work machine also has Vmware workstation.

WIP: 70-680
  13. Eddie23

Eddie23 New Member

Appriciate all the advice, Thanks!