Studying towards the A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by ericrollo, Jul 25, 2008.

1. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

So i found a copy of mike's all in one 6th edition and im half way though the book. I also have some practice tests which i was given to by the college as well is they anything else i will need to obtain a pass on the A+?

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Practice what you are learning. A copy a PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles would help as well as an old PC (from a junk shop or recycling centre). The book has exercises in it that you can practice like installing PSUs and tweaking windows xp.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Sepher

Sepher Bit Poster

www.proprofs.com is a good site for practice tests :thumbleft

Most are outdated and harder then the real test but they do help for revision!

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, MCTS Windows 7
    WIP: CompTIA Security+
  4. dominoe

dominoe Nibble Poster

pulling apart a few old pcs also helped I found, got those from ebay.. also remember google is your friend and lots of info can be got from it :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MTA
  5. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

Does the PC's have to be relativly new?? I've got an old PC (large tower) from like 1999 (had Windows 98 on it) but it no longer works - would this be useful for studying purposes?

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
    WIP: A+
  6. greenbrucelee

for taking to pieces and putting back together it will, if you could get it working and put xp on it that will help for the OS side of things but you could do that on your own pc as long as you make backups or restore points or both.

7. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

I can see that buying an old cheap PC would assist in helping overal knowledge... Is there any online shops you guys recommend to buy cheap PC parts like RAM cards, or anything like that or is EBay the best? Would be good to see if I could get this old PC I have working as I learn through the CompTIA a+

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
    WIP: A+
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Buy them from anywhere. Finding out the best places to buy them is a great way to compare prices, models, and specifications. Getting the best bang for the buck on a system build is how I learn a lot about different models and brands.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. greenbrucelee

have a look at your local recycling centre. I got one with xp on it and the minimum specs. There was nothing wrong with it apart that it needed a defrag. I got it plus the Mike Meyers AIO and pc technican street smarts for £80 ( i had to buy pc technician street smarts again as my dog chewed the first one up).

10. AArcher

AArcher Nibble Poster

local recycling centre?

Certifications: None
    WIP: CompTIA 2006 A+
  11. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Yep, a computer recycling centre for cheap buying/selling of computer parts (sometimes full machines)

I can't think of a better way of learning more about a computer than buying a broken one and making it work :D

Google it, I'm sure you have a computer recycle centre nearby.

WIP: MCDST